Wasp help

Old 07-21-19, 06:16 AM
Wasp help

Hello!!!
Do I just found 2 wasps this morning in my house. One on the floor about dead and one on my blind in my room by my window half dead as well. The last time I had found 2 wasps in my house it was in April when it had gotten hot and my windows had been open. I later found out they had probably gotten in through my screen that has holes in them. I put tape on them. I am very scared of wasps. My question is do I have a nest in my house or are they getting into my house somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-19, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
Welcome to the forums!

While it's possible for wasps to have a nest in a house it isn't likely, they need to be/get outside to survive. It's not unusual for a wasp to occasionally get inside.

Old 07-21-19, 06:28 AM
Thank you so much! I guess Iím kind of a worry wart. Lol

Old 07-21-19, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
In our house we occasionally get a wasp inside. I discovered that they get in between a storm door and house exterior door as the storm door has a gap at the top. It is a little used door so they feel undisturbed there until we open the door to the inside and they get in accidentally. Maybe there is a situation like that at your house.

Another culprit would be a fireplace, if you have one. Even with the damper closed they will find their way around the edges sometimes or where the damper handle goes through the damper, if that is how the damper is configured.

I'm assuming the "wasp" ID is accurate. Wasps typically dont live in wall voids, but yellow jackets do. If it continues, send us a close up pic.

Bud9051 voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-22-19, 03:46 AM
Thank you for your reply! Yes they were wasps, paper wasps actually. The one I found in my hallway on the floor was right under my attic door.
The thing I donít understand is why were they almost dead. I would think if they got in from outside they would be a little more active?

Old 07-22-19, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
Not an expert but I suspect they were dying because they were inside and no longer had access to the outside.

Old 07-22-19, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 2
Wasps are active during hot weather. Once they get inside in the AC they become less active. The colder you have it the less active they will be.

Old 07-23-19, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
I didn't consider an attic in my previous comment but yes, paper wasps do like attics if they have access. Now they generally don't make large nests and they die off in the winter except for a queen which moves on in the spring to find a new place, which means new queens will also enter the attic from elsewhere. They don't continue to build larger and larger nests like honeybees do.

One option is for someone to go up in attic with a wasp type aerosol that sprays a long distance and with a good flashlight, inspect up and down the rafters; especially the peak and out near the soffits. They seem to like one or the other.

Another option is to make sure the attic door is sealed tightly with door seals/gaskets and just let the wasps have the attic from year to year. If these were honey bees or yellow jackets, then I'd suggest treatment and removal.

Last edited by PAbugman; 07-23-19 at 10:48 AM.