Bug identification

Old 08-23-19, 01:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bug identification

Hi all,

We live in the San Diego area in Southern California. We've had termites in our house before and have them now, which we know from finding some good old fashion piles o' termite poo. We're saving up to get them exterminated. Just wanted to provide some background knowledge regarding the fact that we are aware of a problem and working on correcting it. With that, I will move on to the meat of the question.

Recently we have pulled out a gross old carpet and baseboards in one room, and have removed a couple of drywall anchors for wall-painting purposes, so we now have a lot of visible bug entry points into that room. We found some termite poo around the perimeter of the room, no surprise there. We did some spot-spraying just to feel like we'd done something to help solve the problem. Here's the thing I need some quick help with. The termites I have seen before haven't been quite as teeny tiny as the bugs that have been coming out of the walls of that room at night, so I'm a little confused. I've had a very difficult time getting a photo of one since they are so small and come out more often at night, but I finally caught a big one in bright light. I've attached two photos and wanted to see if anyone might have a chance to give me a quick identification. I assume that these are just very small termites of some variety that I am not accustom to, but my insect knowledge is extremely limited. I ask in order to check whether we have termites PLUS another type of bug infestation, or if it's just termites and that's all.

So... what are they?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond with your identifications!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-19, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I think they may be silverfish or firebrats. Search images for them and see what you think.

It's hard to see details, but that would be the case with silverfish/firebrats. They do like to live in dark areas such as wall voids, attics, undisturbed closets, etc.

In large quantities they can chew up some fabrics and papers, cardboards, etc but every house has a couple silverfish here and there.

When handled/touched to any extent they will smear into almost a powder like mess.