Gray Squirrels in Attic

Old 12-04-19, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gray Squirrels in Attic

I have at least two gray squirrels in my attic that entered through a rotted gutter fascia at the corner of the second story house. I am looking for some input on removal and squirrel proofing the area.

How should the repair the fascia, and corner eave to reinforce the area once the squirrels are removed. The present construction is a wood fascia board with aluminum gutter, aluminum capping on the exposed fascia, vinyl soffit, aluminum capped trim on the gable.

In the past I had flying squirrels enter gable end near the same area. I removed them with a havahart trap placed in the attic, but I am not sure that will work for gray squirrels. So far I placed the trap baited with peanut butter outside at the base of the tree near the entry and a the bird feeder they visit. No catch yet.

It looks like a few of things at the corner of the house that aid in in the squirrel entry:
  1. A holly tree near house corner that I will prune 3ft down and away from the house.
  2. An electrical service wire to the house. Do squirrel guards work on service wires ?
  3. An electrical conduit drop to the meter. Would a custom guard from flashing work?
  4. A downspout. Also considering a custom guard from flashing .

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-19, 03:12 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Hav a Hart traps work well with squirrels. Bait with a couple of chunks of apple.

Old 12-04-19, 03:38 PM
In the attic or outside near entry or a place I see them most ?

Old 12-04-19, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
When using apples I'd keep the traps inside the attic or you will catch skunks, opossums, etc.

I'm not sure what aluminum capping on the fascia is? Does that mean they chewed through the aluminum and wood fascia underneath?

Old 12-04-19, 04:24 PM
I 've used peanut butter with success the flying squirrels in the attic. Outside no luck yet with the gray squirrels.

Aluminum capping is just thin .025 inch trim coil material formed over the exposed wood to protect it instead of paint. There is no aluminum capping behind the gutter. The squirrels chewed only through wood. The gutter leak caused the fascia board to rot, create a hole and the squirrels open it up more by separated the gutter from the fascia board.