I. Hate. Roaches! Help!

Old 12-14-19, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Angry I. Hate. Roaches! Help!

Here's my scenario that I hope someone can help out with.

Living in an apt. I know roaches can appear in clean apts. My strategy was to try keeping them *out*. So, what I did was get that hardening foam to plug up the gaps between the pipes & the wall under the kitchen & bathroom sinks & also sealed up the edges of the front door with weather stripping to block gaps.
I didn't do anything with the kitchen or bathroom drains, but it worked! Didn't see a single roach for *months*.

But somehow, they've returned & I have No real idea *How* tf they're getting in. Killed several in the last week. I just need to find out *Where* they're getting in. That's key. Cause I can kill any I see, but that's not solving the problem.

There's another possible entrance from the pipeline behind the stove. I never foamed that cause it was too big.

I already picked up some Combat bait traps which, from what I read, is the best of the bunch. Tomorrow I'm picking up some food grade diatomaceous earth. I'm seeing online that this is effective stuff. Anyone have experience with it?

But again- I need to pin down where they're getting in. Any tips?

** Edit
It also occurred to me that it's *possible* me or my sigif' other somehow unknowingly brought them back in from elsewhere. Which might be an easier situation to deal with if that's the case.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-19, 03:25 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
First off, living in an apartment you probably have someone available to provide treatment. If so, keep up with it.

It's probable you'll never be fully effective. In all likelihood your original measures worked but the roaches were able to find others.

Certainly fix the hole behind the stove. There are many options including using foam designed for larger spaces. A second option is to do something to reduce the space such as using adhesive to secure a piece of sheetrock / drywall around the pipe then foaming. It's easy to do or perhaps your appt's handyman can help. Also seal around outlet / switch boxes (not the boxes themselves) and toilet pipes.

Combat is a good product but there are other better and more costly ones, Advion in particular. I'd stick with Combat for now.

Old 12-15-19, 05:50 AM
Thx

Thank you, Tony.

Forgot to mention that I did foam seal the pipes under the toilet. Also, when I did my initial roach lock out, I used Advion Cockroach Gel Bait. Definitely more expensive than the counter stuff, but I kept reading how great it was. I still have plenty left and will do it again during the deep clean Iím doing today.

Never thought of the outlet boxes though.

Old 12-15-19, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
Is your Advion bait disappearing, indicating that they are eating it? Have you noticed the roaches getting smaller in size?

Old 12-15-19, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
What state are you living in? Always helpful to know general geographic location when dealing with insects.

What specie of roach? Their habitats, food and reproductive behaviors vary enough between the species that proper ID is the starting point. Catch some on glue traps and get close-up photos. Are they the larger specie of roach that people mistakenly refer to as water bugs?

If Diatomaceous earth was effective in cockroach control then the professional pest control industry would be using it over the more expensive products. DE will create a "toxic environment" to insects in the voids where it is used which will keep them out of that immediate area, but they could and will still live within feet of it while avoiding it.

If these are "german roaches" then there is more you can do that you probably don't know about. Again, proper ID is paramount to starting in the correct direction.

Old 12-15-19, 08:01 AM
Pilot- Honestly, I wasn't keeping track. I just placed it in various areas in small piles as per directions and apparently that would do the trick. Didn't think to take before/ after photos.

Old 12-15-19, 08:10 AM

PABugman- I'm in the 'burbs of NY. Westchester county.

I'm seeing two kinds pictured here- the German and this slightly smaller, rounder darker kind. Thankfully, not the huge ones.

re: the Diatomaceous earth, I'm still willing to try Anything. That or boric acid powder.

Attached Images   
Old 12-15-19, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They do appear to be german roaches, male and female. There is a chance that they are Asian roaches which resemble German roaches. Not sure if NY has them or not. Asian roaches fly well, so I suspect that you don't have them as you'd have pointed that out quickly!

Advion gel bait is very good for this type of roach. Don't spray anything or use cleaners near bait placements as that could work against you by adding a "repellency" factor.

https://www.domyown.com/vendetta-roa...el-p-1377.html
This bait is also very popular amongst the pros for German roaches should you want something other than Advion.

https://www.domyown.com/gentrol-poin...SABEgJt1PD_BwE
Gentrol works well as a growth regulator for German roaches but not for the larger ones; that's why I'm glad you know what you're dealing with. Long term control, not a stand alone product, but necessary.

https://www.domyown.com/roach-pherom...aps-p-257.html
These glue traps have a pheromone inside that is specific to German roaches only. I used lots of these in commercial and residental accounts. Will attract German roaches far better than the standard glue traps that rely only on "chance" or a food scent. Pheromones are a biological force that they can't resist.

Old 12-15-19, 11:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you haven't already, take a good flashlight and get down and look up underneath the sinks, all the way around the underside, to look for roaches and/or egg cases. Pull drawers out and look behind them for same. These areas would be good places to bait even if you don't find live evidence at the moment. Also, the pheromone traps would be a good tool to help locate their pockets. Roaches are not social insects, but they do live in close proximity to each other through the "aggregation" pheromone which is the same pheromone found in the above described roach traps. That pheromone is specific to German roaches.

Check interior of closets, especially if wood trim is on inside of closet as that would be desirable harborage in a dark place.

Old 12-15-19, 11:40 AM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
As is the case with many other types of insect (fleas and ants*, for two), you might find relief in powdered boric acid, which often is marketed using some variation of the name "roach-proof" or "roach-prufe." It's a rather slow-acting poison that allows the roach to go home and sleep it off. And when it never awakes, its fellow roaches, being a cannibalistic lot, eat its carcass and poison themselves in the doing. And it's non-toxic to pets and curtain-jerkers. Sprinkle it around baseboards and inside kitchen cabinets where they might emerge.

* For ants it needs to be in liquid form (I buy "Terro" brand) and doesn't work on all varieties (pharaoh and fire ants, for two).

Old 12-15-19, 12:05 PM

Fred C Dobbs- Thanks, man. Turns out I have some boric acid & will def' use it.

PABugman-
Thanks a million, man.
No, def' not flying roaches.
I had a look around & I think I found the same Victor pheromone trap on Amazon. Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Roach-...s%2C149&sr=8-5

I'm resisting the urge to spray. (Black Flag) Though I already did in one area out of frustration.
But as for everywhere else, it'd be ok to use the boric acid powder (turns out I have some sitting around) in conjunction with the Advion?

Old 12-15-19, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, same traps. That is a more manageable quantity.

Keep the boric acid and any other insecticides, cleaners, etc away from the bait. Don't bait and apply others on top of or near bait. Powders like boric acid are more controllable in their application (unless its an aerosol) than are sprays/aerosols so you could get closer with that.

If your building has a pest control operator I'd advise letting him/her know of the roach situation and what you are doing within your unit so you aren't working against each other as far as creating repellency near baits.

Old 12-15-19, 02:11 PM

PABugman- Thanks again.

Looks like my leftover Advion has an expiration date. (3/17)
Assuming it's not fresh enough to still use(?)

Old 12-15-19, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
I have had NO LUCK using boric acid or D.E. Many people seem to love posting their use online as something "safer" or green but I've only see that the insects avoid the stuff which doesn't kill them or remove them from your home. It only causes the insects to take a different path. Use the Advion you already have and use it as directed. Don't try to get "smart" and sprinkle DE or boric acid around "to help".

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 12-15-19, 02:29 PM
Huh. Ok. From all I'm reading here & elsewhere there's a lot of contradicting info out there. But I'll avoid it. Haven't used it yet.

As of now I'll stick with the Combat bait traps I have out for now while I wait for my order of the pheromone traps & possibly some fresh tubes of Advion.

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 12-15-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-15-19, 04:45 PM
Rickenbacker, I looked through the posts and didn't see much conflicting information. Rather , some are more successful with their effort than others, sometimes because of differences in approach or individual products. For example, borax works well but should be used as a dusting so it's barely visible or roaches will avoid it.

There are some tried and true ways to deal with roaches:
  • Do what you can to keep them out. Although you can't be 100% successful.
  • Combat is a good product but there are others that are better and more expensive. Match the solution to the size of your problem.
  • Make good use of your building's pest control service.
  • Consider using a few glue traps in select locations to monitor your effort. Otherwise you may not know if you've been successful.

Old 12-15-19, 07:22 PM
pardon

Meant to say here vs elsewhere online. Not important. But I def' get the gist now.

Old 12-16-19, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's over two years old; I wouldn't use it. If you know that it hasn't been stored in or near heat then maybe it is but that's pretty much guessing. I imagine calling the manufacturer could help but I think they'd say the same thing.

Old 12-16-19, 05:14 PM
yeah...

I just went ahead & ordered more.

Old 12-17-19, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Inspect your Advion when you receive it. I ordered it from Amazon once and had to return it as it was obvious it had not been stored properly. The product was separating and instead of it's normal toothpaste consistency it was more like maple syrup.

Old 12-17-19, 06:06 AM
Whoa

Ok, will do.

By the way, the Victor traps arrived and I placed them everywhere I saw roaches.
The traps and Avdion could be used together, right?
That is- they wouldnít ďcancelĒ each other out?

Old 12-17-19, 07:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes the traps and bait are a good combination and strategy. To make it even better, add Gentrol Point Source as I described in earlier post.

When you catch roaches in traps, the traps with the most roaches will be a clue that they are nesting nearby so you can focus the baiting to that area. What I did when using these traps in commercial properties was to first date the trap. After that as I caught a roach(es) I would record the number of roaches in the trap so I'd have a time frame to look back on. You might catch one or two quickly and no more in a particular trap or you may catch nothing for weeks and all of a sudden you've got multiple roaches. These are clues that will help you build a strategy. It also allows you to move traps around to other locations even if there is one or two in that trap. You know they were caught elsewhere, not the new location. The pheromone is good for about 90 days unless the trap gets soaking wet.

Important: any unused traps that you're saving for later need to be in airtight plastic bag or else the "90 day clock" has started whether the trap is in place or not.

Old 12-17-19, 08:07 AM
Great!

Iíll do that. I put the remaining traps in a rolled up plastic bag before I had to run out for work, but I know it isnít exactly airtight. Will remedy that later.
My next step is to plug up the gaping hole behind the stove.

Old 12-18-19, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before you close up the hole behind stove, I'd consider applying boric acid into that void as treating voids is a good use for boric acid as it is an inorganic insecticide and will last a long time which is what we want in void spaces that probably won't be opened up again.

Old 12-18-19, 08:44 PM
Poison

The Avidon arrived today & I applied it everywhere I saw or suspected they'd be. I'll go back behind the stove & apply some of the boric acid.

Surprisingly, nothing caught in any of the Victor traps yet though. (despite having to kill one myself this morning)

Old 12-19-19, 04:59 AM
** Edit- Caught a small one this morning. Kitchen.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-19, 05:47 AM
I lived in Charleston, SC for a while so I dealt with roaches the size of a small dog. When I found one under my pillow my attitude changed; it was them or me. Anyway, I came to understand roaches are relentless and you have to be willing to be the same. It sounds like you're there.

One last suggestion: I no longer have a need for my roach stir-fry recipe - serves 4. If you want it let me know.

Old 12-19-19, 07:46 AM
Tony

😆
Think Iíll pass unto further notice...

I guess the good thing in my (current) case is- Iím not dealing with a heavy infestation situation. When I open up lower cabinets Iím not seeing dozens scattering everywhere. Iím not seeing anything. I know theyíre there, but I donít think in great numbers.

Old 12-20-19, 05:58 AM
PABugman...

It just occurred to me that the brown one I saw last week (pictured above on the top photo) was carrying an eggcase.
Female?
Now Iím second guessing myself that these are German.

Old 12-20-19, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that they are german roaches as that is the common kitchen cockroach, especially here in the northeast. Do they have the two longitudinal stripes on the top near the head? We called them "Lieutenant bars" (Army).

Why would the presence of an egg case (ootheca) cause you to doubt the specie?

Old 12-20-19, 10:19 AM
Maybe

I'm no expert but I thought the ďteardropĒ shaped one was female.
But anyway, caught another teardrop one last night

Old 12-21-19, 08:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too believe that the teardrop shaped roach is a female. Neither one in the pic are carrying an egg case.

Are the roach pics posted above from your kitchen? They are high quality pictures and I assumed they were stock pics from elsewhere on the internet that resembled the ones you are seeing. My apologies if I'm wrong.

You have a good plan/strategy in place; keep going with it. Don't hesitate to re-locate the empty pheromone traps after 3 to 5 days if no activity.