Small little flying bombers-HELP

Old 02-08-20, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Small little flying bombers-HELP

Hi all I am new here so bare with me please. I have this problem and its driving me Bonkers I have these small really tiny flying bugs all around me when I'm on the computer, on my cell on my bed at night, In my kitchen around and on counters. Searched the web and made some containers of White Distilled Vinegar and a dab of Dawn dish washing liquid. I punched holes in the lids and placed them where the buggers hang aka my computer/bed/bathroom and kitchen. It's been a full 24 hrs and nothing in the containers but they fly around the containers just don't dive in. They sure as heck dive up my nose and into my ears and sit on my monitor but not this smelly vinegar mix. How do I get rid of these annoying bugs. My exterminator is no help he says the company cant get rid of them go search the web which I did and nothing works. Please oh please can anyone tell me how to get rid of these damn things? Thank you for the help advice what ever you offer I will follow it all!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-20, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Where are you located ?
A picture of the "bombers" would really be needed........ How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 02-08-20, 10:35 PM
I am in Sarasota Florida. I will try to take picture but the darn buggers are fast by the time I got my cell out they are off the monitor or my cell :-( but I will try again.
Thank you for the welcome to the forums.

Old 02-09-20, 01:49 AM
Received 171 Votes on 158 Posts
Your description is identical to the same little gnats we have had this winter. The traps you mention are for fruit flies, we also tried, but these little gnats are coming from our plants.

We've been cleanin out all the debris, dead organic material and it's helped a lot!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-09-20, 05:25 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
Yes clean any debris from planted pots.
Depending what they are often a most place is where they will breed so check and eliminate ant areas that may be breeding sites.
Often condensation at the bottom of windows is a favorite spot.

They make clear plastic fly traps basically sticky tape that can be attached to a window etc.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...9341p.html#srp
Very sticky on one side with a strip of glue on the other so you can attach them to a window.
The bugs are attracted to light that is why the like your displays.
You could attach the strip to a lamp shade or make something with a light behind it to get them if the window does not get them.

Old 02-09-20, 06:02 AM
Received 171 Votes on 158 Posts
I tried a fly tape around the plants but it did nothing!

https://www.wish.com/product/5b3f050...CABEgI9G_D_BwE

Old 02-09-20, 06:37 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
The traps I showed need a light behind them.
The wife likes to bring her herbs into the house for the winter.
We had a very wet fall so this year they came in very wet.
They of course end up in the same room as my computer and I had the little buggers flying around and landing on my computer screen.
I also tried the cider vinegar and dish soap DIY trap and all it did was stink up the room.
The traps worked and even though I think just saying it will jinx me I have not seen any for about a month.
Only used one at a time on the window but ended up using 3 over about 2 months before they were all gone.
Probably a couple hundred on the strip before I replaced it.

You know you are starting to win when the size of the trapped flies start to get smaller.

Old 02-09-20, 06:37 AM
Received 120 Votes on 110 Posts
Just one more comment. That vinegar mixture, take off the cap, leave it open. Once they land on it they wont get out. And put a dim light near it. It won't solve the problem but it will greatly reduce it.
At our store, when we get our spring shipment of GOOD EARTH Garden soil, we get thousands of these beast flying around. Like mentioned previously, keep indoor plants free of debris in the soil and try not to keep it moist.

Old 02-10-20, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Flies, especially small flies, need to be properly identified before treatment of any sort as the harborage, food sources, behaviors, etc vary quite differently from one specie to the next. Shame on your pest control guy for not identifying the specie or for not sending specimens away for proper ID.

Now, that said, it doesn't sound like fruit flies or they would be attracted to vinegar. Two common species are sewer flies and fungus gnats. Sewer flies look like tiny moths and come from slow/stopped drains, slow leaks into decaying organic matter, stagnant water, drains that have dried out, etc. Fungus gnats oftentimes breed in over watered plants especially if they have spanish moss on top of soil.

Have you tried isolating rooms to see if they are particular to one room or area? Also take clear drinking glasses, spray or lightly coat interior with cooking oil and place overtop of drains, upside down. You might trap flies if they are coming from drain.

Pictures will need to be close up and not fuzzy so that detail can be seen. Gonna have to be dead for that, but not crushed. Top, bottom and side views.

Old 02-13-20, 08:05 AM
I have no plants inside the house so not sure if that is the reason but thank you

Old 02-13-20, 08:09 AM
Thank you heading to the site link you sent.

Old 02-13-20, 08:20 AM
What I found in toilet not sure if related to flying ones

I have been trying to get pictures of the flying buggers but no luck so far. I did find this not sure if related. We just moved into this house 3 months ago. We have a spare bathroom/bedroom so we were moving stuff in there to store them and my daughter noticed this inside the toilet. Now I swear nothing was there when we moved in so I was shocked. I looked in the toilet tank saw nothing. Here are the pictures of what we found in the toilet bowel. Mind you I sent them to my bug guy and he came back saying they were maggots. I have only seen fly maggots but never in a toilet and never small and black just large icky looking white ones in garbage cans before. We have septic not city/county water/disposal if that helps. The main bathroom has nothing so far in its toilet but there are the small buggers flying in there as well as my daughter's room and kitchen. Also I took the plastic containers and covered the sink and tub drains to see if anything comes from there and since they are clear it shows nothing trying to come up from there. Thank you and I will keep trying to get a picture of the flying bombers.

Attached Images   
Old 02-13-20, 10:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could very well be related. The question in my mind is did the adult flies come from the maggot larvae in the bowl or did adult flies come from elsewhere and lay eggs which hatched in the toilet bowl.

Try isolating the bathrooms by keeping the doors closed to see if anything appears in those rooms. Whereever the greatest density of flies occurs will usually be closest to the source. Exceptions would be if the flies were attracted to windows because of the light. Some species are, some not.

One source of sewer flies (psychoda) can be from underneath the toilet if the wax ring has shrunk/dried or if the toilet has loosened from the floor, breaking the seal.

Take specimens, not crushed, to county agricultural extension agents/offices for identification. I've used them in past years for objective ID. Proper ID of flies is paramount in order to discover breeding/harborage sites, food sources, control measures ,etc. Keep us posted.

Old 02-13-20, 06:34 PM
I found this walking the floor of kitchen

We I did have a plumber come and fix the toilet it wouldn't stop running and fixing the seal was something he also did. This was before the things were found in the toilet. When I found it and sent the bug guy the pictures he told me to flush the toilet and keep the lid down so I did and haven't seen them since in that toilet. I also put Ridx down that toilet at the same time I flushed toilet then closed the lid and I flush everyday as he instructed me to do. They are still in the kitchen which is connected to the bathroom as well as in the other bathroom not connected and our bedrooms which are not connected either so they are now all over the house I guess. I just saw this bugger walking the floor of the kitchen and thought it might be one of them that was swatted and left to crawl so have a look but again not sure of it is 1 of the flying ones or not sorry. I will keep trying to catch one for you all.
It wont let me upload these pics says they are too large not sure how to make them smaller sorry

Old 02-14-20, 11:01 AM
Pics of dead bugger

I trapped a fly here are the pics if this will let me upload

Attached Images    
Old 02-14-20, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
https://extension.psu.edu/phorid-flies

I think they are phorid flies. They are not attracted to vinegar like fruit flies. Don't have red eyes like fruit flies either. Somewhere there is decaying organic matter that they are breeding in. Septic line leaks under slabs is possible. Possibly a leak behind shower/tub faucet. Any floor drains or open drains such as laundry hookups not used or dishwashes not used? Also check food storage such as potatoes, leaking cans in pantry, etc.

Are you able to isolate rooms to see where the population is most and least dense? That could be a big clue if it can be determined.

Old 02-14-20, 08:38 PM
Besides that mess in the extra toilet I don't see anything that would cause it and I had that toilet fixed and keep the lid down and flush once a day. The main one has some but I closed off the drains all night but nothing there in the morning and I keep its lid down also but has not stopped them so far in there not many but 1 is too many to me and the kitchen has some but I think we were keeping the grocery bag of garbage on the counter since it takes a few days to fill up and some were in there. We now take the bags out often so they are not left on counter but I forgot we feed the cat in the kitchen but never saw any around his food or water just sink and counter with the bag on it and the floor they seem to walk as well as they fly. I looked at my bedroom windows and my daughter's but don't see them there but she and I see them on the monitor when all lights are out and I see them on and flying around me and my cell when I am on the bed trying to play games to fall asleep but the bug guy is coming on the 18th so I will ask if there are droppings or dust I see on the sills. They seem to be dying out so maybe they were due to the bathroom mess when he fixed the seal but again found all those things after he just left maybe a day or 2 later. Thanks for helping me with this mess.

Old 02-14-20, 08:51 PM
Sorry forgot to address your questions
1) Possibly a leak behind shower/tub faucet?
I don't know I don't see anything and looked under sinks don't see anything flying in or around the openings the white pipes come out of.

2) Any floor drains or open drains such as laundry hookups not used or dishwashers not used? I use my dishwasher but it had issues so landlord said she didn't even know it worked. Nothing seems to be in there and no clue about floor drains sorry not a builder type.

3) Also check food storage such as potatoes, leaking cans in pantry, etc.
I looked in pantry saw nothing and don't have veggies or fruits around we kind of do the cans which I have been rinsing out every can animal or human wen I open them and throw away so they are cleaned kind of before hitting bag.

So how do I kill them or keep them away? I cant feed cat anywhere but the kitchen I have 2 dogs so the cat is limited to back bedroom with his litter box and kitchen with his food and the spare bathroom where his bed is. Oh and I forget we do feed the dogs in our bedrooms but we clean up the floor after they are done and put their dishes in the sink only water bowls stay out all day and then all night.
Thanks again

Old 02-15-20, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If they are phorid flies there is little you can do to kill them or keep them away other than temporarily. I'm not positive they are phorids, as I'd need to see them much more close up and in detail but that is what I believe they are at this time. Can't your pest control guy send some specimens off or take them to the county extension agent for positive ID? We would be going in a more positive and hopefully fruitful direction with a positive ID.

All too often phorids breed and live in places that we can't see such as under slabs or next to foundation walls because of slow septic pipe leaks, etc. Are there access panels behind the tup/shower plumbing that can be removed for inspection? Now if repairing the toilet seal was the issue, it could take a few days to a week until the life cycle stops. If the population is lessening, that's a good sign, hang in there. Keeping the toilet lids closed won't accomplish anything as there is always space for insects to enter/emerge. Otherwise, if the decaying organic matter they are in dries up or otherwise goes away then that could solve the problem too.

Small fly issues can be frustrating; eventually they'll give themselves and their location away if their harborage doesn't disappear in the meantime.

Old 02-15-20, 05:24 PM
Thank you for the help. My pest guy as I said will be here on the 18th and I will show him the pictures I posted on here and some more I have. I kind of threw that darn bug away but I will go hunting for another to show him. I have been reading on them and if it is them I am in trouble since I know nothing of the floor drains and such and my landlord is shall we say cheap so that is not a road I'd like to travel if I can help it. I will talk to the pest guy on the 18th and see what we can do. Yes they are getting less and less but seems the kitchen has them the most with my room a close 2nd. Daughter claims to see them once in a while now but she is so focused on her cell or computer I don't think she would be a good source and the main bathroom well I haven't seen any in about 24 hrs. Again thank you so much.