Flying Ants

Old 03-27-20, 06:23 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Flying Ants

I had a flying ant land on me while I was eating dinner. I did a quick google to differentiate it from a termite, as I know they can fly too. This is definitely a flying ant. I use terrow to take care of the crawling ones effectively on the floor. Will it work for these guys? If not what should I use?

Last edited by WML13; 03-27-20 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-20, 06:18 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
The termites and ants that have wings are the reproducers of the colony, they are not a colony themselves but indicate that a typical colony is nearby. It is simply mating time so the reproducers develop, leave the colony to mate and lay eggs and die off.

Continue targeting the crawling ants which would be the main colony and you will affect the flying ants. Killing the flying/reproducers won't accomplish anything as they will die off soon after you see them. You were wise to ID them as this time of year termites are reproducing also. When termites swarm it will be massive all at once; instinctively, people seem to realize that it is a termite swarm.

Be aware that "parasitic wasps" are also showing up and can be mistaken for flying ants sometimes. They are small wasps, not the traditional paper wasp, etc. Beneficial. Curly antenna distinguish parasitic wasps from ants/termites which have bent/straight antenna.

Old 03-28-20, 08:52 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
PA, thank you for your reply. My attendance at hundreds of forums with Pest experts like yourself who spoke to Golf Course Superintendents and other Turfgrass Managers (I sold equipment and chemicals to them) were very valuable to me in regard to keeping grass alive, but Termites, wood ants, and other destructive (to buildings) are a new forum for me. (My wife thought I was ready for the nursing home when I had her hand me a magnifying glass to get a better look at that flying ant, I shot down over the table!
Also thank you for the tip on the parasitic wasps. I had a local company take down some big dead or dying trees surrounding my house last fall. They said they would include a treatment for wood aunts, (lots of those came out of the dead trees) around the house, and that it would last several years. I hope that it does, but the stuff I used to sell was pretty much good for the season. (Grub Control) Is that statement about whatever they put down accurate? Seems like the EPA might have some regs that kick in about that.

Old 03-28-20, 03:22 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Carpenter ants would be the issue with the trees and potential house infestation/damage. Two years isn't realistic for above ground insect control. Turf/subterranean treatments will last long as they are protected from sunlight and oxygen which break down the chemicals quicker.

If you want to treat for carpenter ants, preventatively or as a cure, spray the exterior perimeter of house, high and low, with a product containing the active ingredient: Fipronil. Fipronil is also a popular and effective termiticide when used as subterranean application. It is also the active ingredient in Frontline, the flea and tick med we put on pets. Low toxicity, but amazing chemistry. Various brand names. Termidor, Taurus SC, Fuse. We used lots of Termidor at first, then Taurus when the patent left Termidor and we confidently gave 6 month warranties with one treatment for carpenter ants. We rarely got burned.

Fipronil is not labeled for indoor use though. With the small ants, baiting is a very good strategy. Don't use liquid/aerosol insecticides unless you know they are non-repellent (few are) otherwise you will be repelling the ants that you want to bait, ruining the strategy. If Terro is working, great. If not, there are many others in gel form and plastic syringes can be had on line. Same brands as pro's use.

Old 03-28-20, 03:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
The Advion and Quantum are popular for the small species of ants.

https://www.domyown.com/ant-baits-c-1_60.html