Keep cluster flies off of siding?

Old 05-18-20, 09:11 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep cluster flies off of siding?

Hello all. Hoping to get some help with an issue I have every year as it gets warm out.

I get hundreds of cluster flies all over the outside of my house, vehicle, and deck. I'd like to finally get to do something about it.

Is there something I can spray on these surfaces that'll keep the cluster flies off? Something that won't cause discoloration on the vinyl siding?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 05-18-20, 04:33 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Typically, it is fall when cluster flies land on and try to invade houses, at least here in the northeast but in any case, flies of any specie landing on the exterior would be treated much the same way. Surface spraying the siding and deck with a water based residual spray is what I'd do. Not sure I'd do anything to the car. Have to think about that one. What color is your siding? If it's a light color I wouldn't be too concerned about deposits but if it's dark then there are fewer choices in insecticide, at least for me.

https://www.domyown.com/demand-cs-p-46.html

This would be a good choice as it is micro-encapsulated and lasts longer under sunlight and weather then do other water based insecticides. If you have dark siding try the lowest concentration, .02% I think and test it on an area that you can easily clean if you don't like it. Doesn't do anything permanent damage wise. If lighter colored siding I'd use .03% concentration and broadcast spray the siding. I still wouldn't do it in bright sun. Late afternoon/evening when the sun is lower. I like it to dry slower on siding.

This is a concentrate that you mix with water and apply with a compressed air sprayer or a battery/engine operated power sprayer. If it's a two story house and height is an issue, maybe you can lean out windows and spray upwards.

Old 05-19-20, 06:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the reply. I read a lot about that product you recommended and it looks perfect. My siding is a darker grey color. So I'd use the lower concentration, like you suggested.
the only problem is that I live in New York state and they won't ship it here unless I have a license. I've found this to be an issue with other products I've researched.
I'll have to figure something out.
Thanks again.
Rob

Old 05-19-20, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Send it to a friend in NJ.

;-)

Old 05-20-20, 05:07 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
This is a good choice also. Onslaught also comes as "Fast Cap" but all that does is add quicker knockdown. You don't need that. Residual life is more important. As usual, try it on a small area first. For flies, I'd consider using even less concentrate than the label requires, at least at first. When treating vertical surfaces, spray just enough to wet the surface. Anything that runs off is wasted, except for treating crawling insects on the ground at base of structure.
https://www.domyown.com/onslaught-in...ide-p-376.html

Some of the big box stores carry Demand CS as a generic brand. Compare the active ingredients. If you live close to a bordering state that carries it such as PA, maybe a road trip is in order.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: