Ant Control: Clean debris before putting down dry bait/poison?

Old 05-24-20, 12:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ant Control: Clean debris before putting down dry bait/poison?

I'm trying to take care of ants in my house and found a pretty significant trail of them along the foundation of the house. They're pretty well protected by weeds/dead leaves. Should I clear this debris first and then put down the Amdro Ant Block or put down the bait on top of this stuff and not risk disturbing them? I'm concerned that if I clear the debris I might scatter them completely and they'll change up their trails negating the dry bait/poison.

Thanks

Old 05-24-20, 01:52 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
I wouldn't change anything. Just like you suspected, clearing debris and such will change their trailing behavior. They use pheromones as a tool to find their way to and from things. I would consider carefully putting the bait under neath some debris possibly. We were always taught to not scatter bait granules directly on top of trails as that evokes a defensive reaction with the ants. They would take the granules and we thought that they were accepting the bait soon after it hit the ground when in reality they were taking it away and dumping it. In other words, they need to "find" it themselves.

If you have mature trees nearby, I'd scatter bait at the base of the trees as carpenter ants like to nest in trees. I'm assuming that we're talking about carpenter ants here, but maybe not.

Old 05-24-20, 03:16 PM
E
Aghhh lol, here I am thinking I'm gonna solve this issue in no time and how much I like the Amdro (it was my first time trying it over Ortho Home Defense), and you're telling me they might just dump it! lol

Anyway, I did not move the debris before applying the bait.. It's going to rain here towards the end of the week. I figure after it does I'll clear out the debris and re-apply it.

TY

Old 05-24-20, 04:47 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds good! Just to be clear, I'm encouraging the use of bait granules for ants; just apply them near to the trailing areas. You don't want it to rain down on them; that's what causes defensive reactions. The active ingredient in Amdro is a good one. It, like most ant baits, are not tolerant of rain so you are prudent to be paying attention to the weather.

Here is another good active ingredient for ants should you wish to try a different one in the future.
https://www.domyown.com/advance-375a...bait-p-39.html

Old 05-25-20, 05:02 AM
E
Of course I get up this morning and it's drizzling and the ground is saturated... Is it worth reapplying when the ground dries today? How much is too much of this stuff? - I don't necessarily want to keep feeding these damn things, if after it rains the poison is neutralized and they're free to then keep eating the granulars lol

Also I'm sure it doesn't really matter, but you asked if they were carpenter ants which I have assumed so. But I just googled "ants in brick porch" and it came back with pavement ants, which actually makes a lot more sense based on the pictures and description of where they like to live. Edit: Idk, maybe they are carpenter ants, they don't have the elongated/multi part thorax of pavement ants.

Edit: Would an Advion ant bait kit be worth it? I'm looking for a pet-safe interior solution, because the amount of DE I've spread *everywhere* on my first floor is not a viable long term solution lol!

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 05-25-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:26 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Rain and moisture make the granules unviable as a food and bait so baiting when ground is dry and no rain for a day or so is desirable. Read the labels carefully. The labels have good information as far as strategy, timing, amount, etc. There is strategy in using both Advion gel and the granulars as Advion is a "sweet" based bait and the granulars are "protein" based baits. Different times of year the ant colonies want one or the other, sometimes both. Don't spray anything unless you know it to be a non'repellent (Phantom is one), and then keep it away from the bait anyway. Spraying even non-repellents near the bait will work against the baiting strategy.

DE is very repellent. Insects, especially ants will simply avoid the areas where it is applied. They can still move around inside walls, under slabs, etc.

If you go with a baiting strategy, keep the bait available as long as they are accepting it. The baits are very low in toxicity otherwise the ants would die before they got it back to feed the colony. Leave them alone and let them eat. Carpenter ants are the only specie that I'd worry about getting a defensive reaction from so you're good there. It's not unusual for ant colonies to appear to be gone after baiting, but come back at least to a degree. That doesn't mean failure. Be persistent.

If you decide against baiting, a good plan is to treat exterior with a fipronil based insecticide (active ingredient) such as Termidor, Taurus SC, Fuse, etc. Treat interior with Phantom. No point in baiting near the house if you go with this strategy, though you could bait around trees, pavers, outbuildings further away where you aren't spraying.

Old 05-25-20, 10:01 AM
E
Awesome, ty. I might try the peanut vs sugar borax test to see if they'd prefer sweet vs protein.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: