Ants in the bed

Old 05-30-20, 02:42 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ants in the bed

My girlfriend keeps getting bitten by ants in our bed. It seems to happen infrequently, and is always a one-off single ant she finds. I've checked all the doors and windows and other possible entry points multiple times, and have yet to find any coming in, and have yet to find them anywhere else in the house. I'm also puzzled by the fact that they've only bitten her; I've yet to have the pleasure.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 05-30-20, 04:33 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Assuming the identification is correct and it really is an ant, that would be strange behavior for sure. Ants typically don't seek out and bite people especially since a bed is far from their type of environment. Fire ants will bite but they need to feel threatened to some degree.

What country/state are you in?

Old 05-30-20, 04:38 PM
P
I'm in central Florida, US. The fire ants have been pretty bad this year, but it didn't look like fire ants. They're black, but bigger than sugar ants, so not sure.

Old 05-31-20, 06:58 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
I did a search for "Florida biting ants" and found these two species, but they, like all ants, are not solitary. See what you think.

https://www.orkin.com/ants/tawny-crazy-ants

Last edited by PAbugman; 06-01-20 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 07:55 AM
P
Gotta say the carpenter ant looks mighty 'spicious. The one that got her yesterday looked just like that,, all black and about 1/4" long.
I took another look throughout the house, too. Still nothing inside, but outside I did find a long line of ants crawling up the corner adjacent to the master bath, all the way up to the soffit. I got up in the attic, but wasn't able to get over to that area.

Old 05-31-20, 08:01 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
oops; my mistake; I didn't mean carpenter ants; clicked on wrong llink.

https://www.orkin.com/ants/fire-ant

Old 05-31-20, 09:13 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
I did find a long line of ants crawling up the corner adjacent to the master bath, all the way up to the soffit. I got up in the attic, but wasn't able to get over to that area.
There's your source. Get some Ortho Home Defense and spray the outside. You need to get up in the attic crawl space and seal the opening.

Before the outside I would try to eliminated the reason for them getting inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: