What type of ants are these?

Old 06-01-20, 11:22 PM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What type of ants are these?

Hello, can anyone tell what type of ants have overrun my property? See attached picture. I put a penny there for scale. They are very tiny. I thought carpenter ants are larger but now that I look at the pics enlarged, they do look like carpenter ants. I just didn't think carpenter ants are that tiny.
They have nests EVERWHERE around my house. See the pic. In just on sq ft I see a dozen holes in the ground.
Are these carpenter ants and am I doomed?

Attached Images   

Last edited by alex_t; 06-01-20 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-20, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
Insects vary by location. It would help to know where you are located.

Old 06-02-20, 05:27 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
The pics don't have enough detail to properly ID with, but my sense is that these aren't carpenter ants.
Once they are properly ID'd then we will know if they present undesirable issues. It's possible that even though there are a lot of them, they may not be an issue to worry about.

Take some specimens to your local county agricultural extension office. I've found them to be a source of objective, unbiased information.

What state/country are you in?

Old 06-02-20, 01:38 PM
A
Hello, thanks so much for reply. I'm in Los Angeles. Because of corona difficult to go to extension office. Do you think possible at all to do accurate ID by picture?

Old 06-02-20, 04:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
It would be easier for you to simply identify the ants yourself. Look up ant identification online and go through the process of identifying your ants.

Old 06-03-20, 06:04 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Alex, good point about the offices being closed;
Here is a guide to ant ID. Your ants are definitely ants and not termites so don't dwell on that distinction. Probably the most used physical feature in ant ID is the "pedicel" and the "node(s)" on the pedicel. One node or two nodes combined with a few other visible features will help a lot.

Ant bodies are 3 segmented: Head, thorax (middle part), abdomen (last part). The pedicel is the small piece that connects the thorax and abdomen. On the pedicel are one or two nodes. Use the pedicel and nodes to narrow down the choices first, then go with color, size/length, etc. Keep us posted. Come back with questions as needed.

https://www.domyown.com/ant-identifi...ide-a-460.html

Old 06-03-20, 09:20 AM
A
HI PAbugman, thanks so much for your help. I found this site last night Ant identification: Preparing ants for identification and per its recommendation, I put some ants in bag and froze them. I will report back once I find the time to inspect. I guess I have to go buy a lens. But the link you provide seems very good also.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-20, 11:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Unless you have macro photography equipment it's difficult to post a picture online that is good enough for identification. Having the online guide open and a small microscope or loupe to look at the ants first hand will help. I use this pocket microscope ($13 Amazon) for really small insects and a 10x jewelers loupe or magnifying glass for larger insects when I need to see detail.

My guess is you have some type of what I call "sugar ants". Not particularly harmful (they won't eat the wood framing of your house) but they can be darn annoying and very good at getting into food. I would look into bait style ant treatments that the workers can carry back to the nest and kill the queen. It may take a little while to see results but it's an effective way to kill the colony.