Coarse stainless steel wool

Old 06-03-20, 10:56 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Coarse stainless steel wool

All,

I have an outdoor shed built under a deck and along the stone exterior foundation wall of my house. Mice like to nest within the shed because of the protection from the elements.

I've been trapping the mice, catch about 2-3 a month on average. I'd like to move to exclusion as a means of control.

Their entry point is likely the gap between the edge of the shed and the stone foundation wall. I'd like to fill this gap with something that won't be permanent or will damage the stone veneer.

I've seen a coarse, stainless steel wool that looks like it would be effective if I could stuff it in to the gap on each side. Haven't been able to source a fair quantity at a decent price - probably need about 20 linear feet to fill a 1" gap minimum.

Any suggestions on where to source this material or alternative (better) ways to seal this off?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-20, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 489 Votes on 448 Posts
Dont know how much $ is too much. Home depot has a pack of 3 - 4" x 5 foot rolls for $39. If you cut them in half so that they are 2" wide, that's 30 feet worth. They also have copper mesh, 20 feet for $33.

Old 06-03-20, 11:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Stainless steel wool can be bought from many places. A search online will turn up many sources and you should be able to do your crevice for well less than $50. You don't need much as you don't have to pack the crevice hard so a little bit can go a longish way. You can also use aluminum window screen and it doesn't have to be new. Cut into strips and pack into the crevice.

Old 06-03-20, 11:24 AM
J
Maybe I'm searching wrong, never able to find it. I am also considering trying aluminum foil as a suggestion I read about here. I imagine it can be stuffed pretty tightly to pack the gaps.

Old 06-03-20, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 489 Votes on 448 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Xcluder-...QaAh4HEALw_wcB

Fine steel wool is cheaper than course on Amazon. $1.92 for an 8 pack.

Old 06-03-20, 12:32 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Steel wool is good, stainless steel wool is better but here is what I use. May/may not be as cost effective but you can do more things with it. Won't rust, even after years but it will lose its shininess and turn dark. It can be balled up even as big as a soft ball or stretched out thin by stretching and twisting. I use a simple scissors to cut it. When you cut it, copper splinters will fly off so when I used it indoors I would have the copper and scissors in bottom of bucket when I cut it. Splinters will fall off as you install, too. Vacuums up nicely though. It can stop drafts but has no insulating qualities at all. Will conduct electricity and cold temps too well. I always have some on hand.

https://www.domyown.com/stuffit-copp...tml?sub_id=229

Old 06-18-20, 01:40 PM
J
Wanted to report back... packed the area behind the 4x4 (between the stone wall) with aluminum foil along the entire height from the inside of the shed. Seems fairly well sealed, and so far, no more evidence of mice. Will need to give it a while (couple of seasons) to see if it has solved the problem. $1.49 roll of foil from the supermarket.

PAbugman voted this post useful.