Flying insect repellant for outdoor parties

Old 07-01-20, 11:52 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flying insect repellant for outdoor parties

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions that y'all have for keeping flying insects away from outdoor parties.
Ideally, it would be something that can keep away flies, bees, wasps, mosquitoes, dragonflies without necessarily killing them.

In addition, if it would be possible to keep the scent to a minimum would be great. We don't particularly want our outdoor party to be like walking into a scented candle shop and have our senses overwhelmed by sickly sweet, pungent odors.

All I know of are citronella candles but I have heard mixed reviews as far as their efficacy and scent. We don't mind since it would only be for 1-2 hours but I'm curious if there are better, healthier options available.

Old 07-01-20, 01:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Therma Cell works great against mosquitoes but I don't know if it specifically repels other flying insects. I don't notice many other flying insects around when I use it so even if the package doesn't say so it seems to keep many away. Since it emits a vapor that keeps them away it works best when there is little to no wind to blow it away. To cover a larger area you may need several spread around the yard.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 07-02-20, 07:46 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
I like the therma cell idea too though you'll have to read the label in order to have enough to cover the area needed. The wind, if any, will work against you as far as the therma cell but that will possibly keep the mosquitos away, too.

Otherwise, keeping flying insects out of an outdoor space can be a "square peg in a round hole" type of thing.

My wife and I have been using picaridin based insect repellents as opposed to DEET for several years now. Not greasy, no odor, easy to apply and works well. DEET, though it works well, made us feel like we wanted to shower immediately. After application, the picaridin based lotions aren't even noticeable. Search picaridin to find retail products.

Picaridin General Fact Sheet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: