Silver Fish Problem

Old 07-15-20, 10:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silver Fish Problem

Im experiencing a silver fish problem in our home. I'm mainly having the issue in my bedroom. Some days I'll see 2or 3 a few times a week for months now. Usually they are on the ceiling or my bed which has become a real nuisance.

Every night before I sleep I check my pillows and sheets. Some days I find a couple hiding in my sheets. Some nights I'll be sitting on my bed watching a movie and one will crawl up my leg or arm. Saw some in the kitchen which has never happened before. My brother one room over had it bad last year, but my room now is getting to the point I dont want to sleep in there.

From my research they say it's really hard to get rid of them. I recently placed some silver fish traps in my room to see if it helps combat the problem. Anyone experience this before? If so, any good DIY tips you could provide? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-20, 08:54 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
This is a good bait that the pro's use and like. Apparently out of stock with this dealer for now though. Do you have access above the bedroom ceiling(s)? Bait up there if you do, as well as other places as recommended by the label.

What are the "silverfish traps"? Do they have an insecticide bait in them?

https://www.domyown.com/intice-fine-...ait-p-350.html

Old 07-16-20, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Very interesting product. It's not out of stock it's changed to a new name.... InTice 10 Perimeter Bait.
I'm going to try that as I have some crawling friends that need to be evicted.

InTice 10 Perimeter Bait

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 07-16-20, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Silverfish are attracted to moisture. So there may be some underlying problem with the building that is attracting them. It could be a roof leak, or water damage behind the vinyl siding, a leaking tile shower or something of that nature. They wouldnt normally just hang out in a bedroom where there isnt anything wet. You are seeing them foraging out away from their favorite hangout, which is wherever its moist.

Old 07-17-20, 06:46 AM
L
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You can also get a sticky trap from a big box store that will catch them if they crawl across it. Actually, they are so stick they just get on the perimeter and die there. Not a permanent solution but might help. Good to catch whatever crawls onto it.

Old 07-17-20, 06:55 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Good catch PJ!

Darned on-line sellers need to use larger font...

Old 07-17-20, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I have those sticky traps at strategic places around the rooms.
They do an excellent job but they don't catch everything.

Old 07-22-20, 10:11 AM
S
Thank you all for the comments! I do have access to the attic which is right next to my room. At first I thought they were coming from the attic through the recessed lights in my room. I good have sworn I saw a big one crawl out of there from the corner of my eye a couple times. I heard they eat insulation so I went up there and lifted the insulation in a couple spots around the lights and didn't see any.

Moisture had me thinking to, as the bathroom is on the other side of the wall in my bedroom. There is a couple loose tiles in the tub which is allowing water to get behind them. It's possible they coming from under the bathroom floor into my room.

I purchased some of those paper silver fish paper traps. The small square ones like a piece of cardboard where they crawl in to eat the borax. Put a bunch in my room last week. I've noticed a decrease since then but not sure if the traps are actually working.. Now I'm only finding smaller ones at random, rather then 3-4 larger ones in a day. Think I may go head and purchase a bottle of the InTice 10 Perimeter Bait. It's cheaper than hiring a pro and Im about trying to fix something myself first if I can. If that doesn't work I am going to hire a pro. Tired of shaking my sheets every night.

Old 08-26-20, 06:46 AM
S
Those card board silverfish traps I bought seem to be working. I placed some around my room where I could as space is limited. Since putting them I went a week without seeing a fish. Then 2 days in a row I saw a single tiny baby. Big improvement but I dont want to see any. Last night I checked my sheets before bed for the 1st time since and found a baby. Part of me thinking they might be living in my 15 year old mattress n box spring. I did check it and didn't see any. On to the next treatment.

Old 08-26-20, 10:15 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like slow but sure progress. Don't hesitate to try multiple baits as some will be more appealing than others to the silverfish at various times of year and stages of growth.

Old 08-31-20, 07:01 AM
S
I'll try that! Didn't think to use multiple kinds of traps. That makes sense as the holes on these are so small I told myself the big ones couldn't fit. For me to not see a big one in over a week is a blessing. Just 3-4 tiny ones so far.

Old 08-31-20, 06:49 PM
B
You should probably fix the loose bathroom tile issue, that's most likely where they are coming from.

Old 09-07-20, 07:54 AM
S
That was my first thought due to the constant moist environment. But I haven't seen a single silver fish in the bathroom. I plan on fixing the tiles this week.

Update, I did see 2 huge ones the past few days. And another woke me up in my sleep crawling on me last night which has happened a lot. I woke up smacked my arm where I felt it crawling, then immediately went back to bed. I woke up and remembered it happend and found it dead on my sheets. The Dekko traps holes are so small that I found a big one sitting on top of it cause it cant fit in the holes.

It seems I'm finding most of them on my bed or walls. Going to order a new bed now lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: