Ants on my house siding

Old 07-30-20, 09:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ants on my house siding

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a large in surgeons of black ants that have started to appear on the side of my house. Tonight I looked a little further and found that they are up into my carport and going all over the place with no clear point of where they actually end. I had thought that they were coming across the gate so I opened it and let it sit there and they must have found another way. I had sprayed some poison a few weeks ago when I found a few ants but nothing has seemed to work. I need to remedy this situation because I think they are building a nest somewhere in my attic and I can't seem to find where they are going exactly I just know that they will disperse when I poison them and then appear back in a few days.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-20, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
It would help to identify what kind of ants you have, can you post a pic of one?
I've found Terro to be one of the better ant baits. If you use a bait you need to quit spraying, you want the ants to carry the bait back to their nest.

Old 07-31-20, 06:09 AM
J
Small and black. Cant post a photo, all you would see is a blue anyway. Where exactly would I put bait? The only place I can see them congregate are spots where its wet when it rains. I'm in Louisiana. There is a tiny ledge, I can barely stick my smallest finger there where they follow underneath my carport. I believe it's their path. But it wouldnt be able to hold anything as it's too small.

Old 07-31-20, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Terro comes with small cardboard tear offs to place the bait on. I'd place the bait anywhere along their trail.

Old 07-31-20, 07:31 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Ant baits are good for the smaller ants. There are some baits specifically for carpenter ants. If you're sure that they aren't carpenter ants, and want to use bait instead of spraying, do a search for "granular ant bait". These are for exterior use. Intice, Max Force, Advance, and others are popular with pros.

As marksr said, don't spray anywhere near your bait as you'll be working against yourself. The exception would be spraying any of the "fipronil" (active ingredient) based sprays. Even then, don't spray on the bait.

The labeled directions will help you with procedures and strategies for when and how to apply the baits. Insecticide labels are full of information.

Old 07-31-20, 10:13 AM
J
If they are carpenter ants then do I have a bigger problem?

Old 07-31-20, 11:27 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Not necessarily as fipronil based insecticides will make quick work of them. Sometimes they chew wood for nesting but many times they nest quite well in void spaces, in ground nests, under attic insulation, etc. They don't have to chew wood like termites do.