Chinch bugs

Old 08-06-20, 06:46 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chinch bugs

Hello...I live in Nova Scotia and being overrun by chinch bugs...destroying my lawn in the process.

I have used Trounce insecticidal soap, which works perfectly but is very expensive (30 bucks per 1 litre).

I have since been using an internet remedy solution of Dawn soap and water mixed with vegetable oil...which seems to control them quite well to this point.

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer...

Question 1;

What does the vegetable oil contribute to this mixture? in other words can I use the formula without the oil...or is it essential in the process of bug elimination.

Question 2;

Does the mixture have to be exact?...(the specify 2.5 tablespoons of dish soap and vegetable oil to every gallon of water). The reason I ask is that I am using a (used) Safers Trounce hose end container that draws product from the container at a rate of 1.5 ounce for every gallon of water expelled.

I basically fill the, (1 litre), container with 1/4 soap....a bit of vegetable oil...then the rest with water.

I can't seem to find these answers anywhere on the net.

Thanking everyone in advance

Jim

Old 08-06-20, 07:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Often oils are effective because they cover or block the breathing holes of insects. I don't think the ratio is critical but if there isn't enough oil then there won't be enough to do the job. The dish soap is just there as a surfactant so the spray will spread evenly and not form droplets.

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: