What are these bugs and how do I get rid of them?

Old 08-06-20, 06:31 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are these bugs and how do I get rid of them?

Hello,

I'm glad I found this forum and I'm hoping one of you experts can assist. I've been doing DIY pest control in my home for about 18 months and it's been going very well. However, I've started finding these very small bugs (see attachments) in one of our bathrooms. At most, they're about 1/4" in length. This is the only room in the house where I find them and I've not seen any live ones. When I see them, I vacuum them up but within 3-4 days, I'll have 7 - 8 of them dead on the floor again. Obviously the pesticide I'm using is working, but I'd like to get rid of them altogether.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-20, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Hard to tell from such blurry photos but they look like cockroaches to me.

Old 08-06-20, 06:49 AM
R
Sorry for the blur. I got out my pro camera and macro lens so hopefully, this one is clearer. I have tremors so it's hard to get anything steady.

Old 08-06-20, 06:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
My first guess was also some kind of cockroach. Possibly they are in the bathroom because of the moisture. I've had good luck with Advion Roach Bait Gel.

Old 08-06-20, 06:56 AM
R
Now that I've zoomed in on it, I think you're both correct. They look like baby cockroaches. I've been using
PT Cy-Kick throughout the interior except for kitchen cabinets and countertops. In those places, I use Vendetta Plus Cockroach Gel Bait.

Obviously, the PT Cy-Kick has killed them but would I put the cockroach bait in that bathroom and hope they carry it back to wherever and kill the source? Is that the idea?

Old 08-07-20, 06:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Definitely a specie of cockroach. Appears to be a nymph in later stage. Do you see larger (adult) roaches? They are not the typical kitchen/fast breeding roach such as German or Asian roaches but appear to be closer to the specie that is erroneously called "water bugs". The larger, slower breeding species of roaches will live underneath streets/sidewalks and enter through public sewer/water/gas access and oftentimes follow the main sewer pipe right up to the upper floors and attic as that main pipe goes from below ground level to penetrating the attic/roof as it vents the entire system. That's how "basement" roaches end up in attics and upper floors. In warm weather states they will live outdoors year round and invade houses as they need.

Is there basement/crawl/slab underneath the house? In any case, try to find where all utility lines enter and inspect/monitor those areas.

Old 08-07-20, 08:25 AM
R
Thank you for your response PABugman. We live in St. Pete, FL. The house is on a slab with no crawlspace and if it matters, we live on the water. I will check the electrical, gas, and water line entry points and make sure I treat them. From time to time, I do see dead adult cockroaches but not that many (by FL standards...).

As I mentioned previously, these bugs are only found in one bathroom in the house and are around the toilet only. We don't see them anywhere else. I was wondering about the idea of using the gel bait. If I use that, will they carry it back to a nest or don't roaches work that way? I use PT Cy-Kick currently and the gel bait in the food storage and kitchen countertop areas.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 08-07-20, 09:46 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
I like gel and liquid baits for roaches. The granular baits like Intice work well on the larger specie as well; read about it for outdoor use. Might be a good adjunct to the interior treatment. You're already using fine insecticides that are used by the pro's.

Check the bathroom sink cabinet at the base where the "kick plate" is. Sometimes you can reach up and over the kick plate and your fingers are actually underneath the bottom of cabinet but close to the floor. If that's the case, then maybe they are following the path of the drain pipe to the underside of cabinet and crawling over the kick plate. Most people don't even know that opening is there until they look. Maybe yours is sealed in which case make sure that where the sink drain enters the bottom of cabinet is close off well. If you think this is a possible entry, then maybe leave it so you can periodically remove whatever you use and get Cykick in there so you always have a residual in that void space under the cabinet. With the PT (aerosol, right?) you won't need much of an opening to get treatment in there.

Old 08-07-20, 10:17 AM
R
Excellent recommendations, thank you!