Bat assessment

Old 08-07-20, 10:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bat assessment

I knew I had a bat issue for years and finally got up on the roof. I have trusses for roof structure. The roof is a shallow pitch covering 22x40 box. I removed 1 of the 5 8 ft pieces of sheetmetal that serve as a ridgecap.
Cant believe I havent had any leak issues for 12 years but we get very little rain in the northern western plains.
The idiot who worked on the house left a 3 inch wide open gap between the sheathing on top. No screen.
In that 1 8 ft section I removed I saw 4 live bats and 1 dead one. Imagine how many are in the spacious truss
area...I realized that because its a truss design I will have to remove the entire roof sheathing system.
Metal,OSB,tar paper and some of the insulation is going to need replacing.All because that little slimebag didnt use a few rolls of screening when he had the roof wide open.I cant afford to hire anyone even for a day
to help so its all on me. We dont have rain here but wind comes up suddenly.. I am hesitant to start this year cause of money....So maybe next year but I saw that the trusses provide a large open space to hang poison baits of some kind.. It wont clean the bat crap out but its a start to get rid of them.What poison can I use that I can hang in the truss cavity? BTW we dont have the no kill bat laws that some eastern states do.
The only thing sealing my living space from the bat scum/dirt etc is a tight sheetrock job and maybe one layer of plastic below the rafter insulation. They must have hired a pro to do that.
What can I use to start killing the colony off.??? I bet there is 30-60 bats in that truss cavity.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-20, 11:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
Bats do not feed where they roost so poisons in your house will do no good. You can call a local university that has a biology department and ask their advice and maybe help. They can recommend a humane way to remove the bats from your attic.

I would contact your local wildlife office or university to find out what species your bats might be and when their maternity season is. Then make a plan and get your materials together. Leave the ridge open until maternity season is well over. Then when it's good and dark (about an hour after sunset) I would go up and install the screening to keep them out.

It is important to do the exclusion after the bats maternity season is gone. That way most/all the bats will be out hunting at night. If you do it during maternity season the babies will still be inside the roost and sealing the exit will kill them. If you don't care about bats it's still best to wait till after maternity season so you don't have decaying bat smell.

Old 08-07-20, 11:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Bats are a protected species in many states.
Once you've got the bats to leave is the time to seal the roof up tight. Is it possible your ridge cap doubles as a ridge vent? If so, you just need to attach screen wire over the gap. Not sure why you think you'll need to remove and reinstall all the roofing ??

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 08-08-20, 04:24 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
I have no knowledge of poisons or repellents that would help in this situation. What the bat pro's do prior to exclusionary work is to employ one-way exits, much like check valves, that fit the structure to be protected.

Search "bat exclusion", "bat exits", and other like phrases for examples.

Old 08-08-20, 04:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hve to totally clean out the trusses. And because there is dust with bat germs I will remove all the insulation too.
Its better to be thorough. I am making plans to assault this in 2 weeks. I will get it done. Huge job for 1 guy.
I will install new insulation from the inside this fall and replace the sheetrock in the ceiling completely this winter.
Owning a house isnt easy.Especially in the country.

Old 08-08-20, 04:47 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
This is an Insurance - Claim to the Tune of 4K at Least .. POOP and all is Contaminated , but Now
U will have to show there has been Repairs made and Normal Roofing Conditions for Your Area ..

U go On _ about Years of Bats in Your Belfry ~ those ~ White Suite won't Give You a Check !
Brahaaaa ~

Old 08-08-20, 04:53 PM
S
We Love Bats around Here they Eat a Ton of Bad Bugs ~ so don't ~ Go and Kill them . .

Just Close Up the Joint after Dark when they all Out into Night , But Please have some Housing Available for them .. or ask a Pet Control Guy to Catch and Release them Mile away ,,

Fly gets into House & Flies around Kitchen is Worst - to spreading Germs to Person in Home ..

Certainly all Kidding aside - this is a Big Issue , but getting arrested for Killing Protected Animal will be way worst
Local News gets Hold of It - You'll have to Move . .

Old 08-08-20, 05:00 PM
S
After the Bats have been Sent to Live someone-where Else ..
I get one of Those Fogger's and Fog then Entire Attic with Lysol . .

Even a Semi_Professional Spray Painter - with Long Hose on it - will right up in there & Blam _ Man_o
SPRAY _ PAINT - Lysol then: "Spray water Based Kills" 1-2-3 Order & Stain Blocking
Will Clean It ..Right Up

The Call and have R42-R44 Blow in by adding 11-12" White Clean Blanket of New Soft Insulation ..
all Re_Laid up in Attic
All Done !

Old 08-09-20, 06:36 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Keep an eye out for "bat bugs" which are often confused with "bed bugs". They are not the same thing and do not typically feed on humans. If they are present, you may notice them as you eliminate the bats and clean up the attic.

https://www.google.com/search?client...1-d&q=bat+bugs