Tiny Slanted holes in walls

Old 09-19-20, 01:20 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiny Slanted holes in walls

im getting these tiny slanted holes in multiple interior walls. Anyone know what itíd be from? Thereís no markings around on the floor etc. just slanted hole.

Old 09-19-20, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Looks like some one stabbed the wall with a scratch awl or small phillips screwdriver.

Old 09-19-20, 05:27 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
looks like a nail hole, are you thinking an insect? Ive never know anything to make holes in drywall/plaster!

Old 09-19-20, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen termites in fla that chewed their way thru drywall but it looks nothing like that. I'm 99% certain that is something a human did.

Old 09-20-20, 08:55 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
What state/country is this? Geographic regions help with insect ID sometimes.

Could be insect. Termites will chew through dry wall to access wood or when they are exploring for wood. This does not look like subterranean termites to me so far, but further inspection would be necessary.

I'm not familiar with dry wood termites, which could still be a possibility.

More commonly are the wood-destroying beetles such as powder post beetles that emerge from the wood behind the wall and sometimes come through the dry wall. If this is insect, I'm pretty sure it's an emergence hole, not entrance.

Are there areas of the house such as basement, attic, utility closets, etc that have exposed wooden studs/joists/posts, etc? If so, they should be inspected thoroughly for the holes. If it is insects, then accurate ID will be paramount in order to determine type of treatment or even if treatment is necessary. If the type of insect simply emerges but does not typically re-infest, then treatment may not be necessary. You can see why proper ID is necessary. Be careful who you call, if you do, as many in the pest control industry aren't trained or experienced in the differences between species. Treatments can be very involved and expensive and well beyond homeowner ability.

Wood destroying beetles work slowly so don't react as if it's an emergency. Take your time and learn. Watch out for sales oriented pest control companies.

If you find exposed, infested wood, take pictures of it. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Old 09-23-20, 03:54 PM
N
Well the house has wooden siding, exposed wooden ceiling beams, wooden decks, etc and yard is full of trees also. Realtors should really warn you about these things I had no idea the pain of wood!!!
Iím certain these are not man-made, they are randomly appearing and some are in places my children canít reach. I donít think doing this would entertain them anyways.
I did have a swarm of termites a few years back but I killed them as they were going up the side of the house. Termite company couldnít show me any evidence of termites and I did not Treat further. I donít have any other symptoms of termites that I have seen.
My back deck ceiling does have some strange stuff happening to the wood now that I think of it though, Iíll post a picture tonight!
thanks for all the thoughts!
also, this is Springfield, mo

Old 09-23-20, 06:14 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Please don't take my questions the wrong way...but just because something is improbable, doesn't make it impossible.
How old are your kids? Do they have any toys that shoot projectiles?? I'm not saying that it is, but it looks similar to a BB hole, doesn't it? I could be way off base though.

Old 09-24-20, 08:28 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
The structural members of interior wood is what I was referring to in my earlier post. Inspecting for the holes on the visible wooden elements will give us a better idea of what is doing this and how widespread, if at all. Thorough inspection is paramount when dealing with wood-destroying insects. It's going to take a good light, maybe knee pads, and patiently inspecting the wooden members in their entirety to the best of ones ability, at least. If the problem is widespread it won't take as long to determine that.

In Missouri there are only subterranean termites, not drywood. The presence of swarmers (reproductives) indicates that a colony is present, in the soil. Killing the swarmers does nothing to stop the wood-destroying workers in that colony. They may or may not be in the house. Swarmers leave the ground to reproduce for the colony and can be found away from the colony, especially if you saw them on an outside wall which could explain why the termite people didn't find termites inside. That's good. If the swarm of reproductives was inside the house, then there is a problem involving the workers inside, and likely well hidden. If so, that may or may not be related to the pin holes that you are finding.

What kind of wood are the studs, joists, beams etc made of? If you don't know the specie of wood, which can be hard to know, can you tell if it is at least hardwood or softwood?

Old 09-24-20, 07:30 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
dart board used to hang there

Old 10-06-20, 02:04 AM
N
I promise itís not children! Thereís too many to not have caught red handed and some are in rooms where children rarely go.
- not sure what type of wood
this is happening to my back deck roof, not sure if itís related, thereís not holes but the wood is definitely changing

Old 10-06-20, 02:09 AM
N
From google images, Iíd say the house and beams are hardwood, Iím really not certain though. I can add pictures if thatís helpful!

Old 10-06-20, 04:38 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It looks like some machine created the whole. I don't think it's any living beings.

Old 10-06-20, 04:42 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Which part of the house is this?

Old 10-06-20, 06:07 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
The back deck pic isn't insect related in my opinion. It looks like a type of dry rot/brown rot to me. Did you probe or dig into it to see if it's soft and how deep it goes?

Old 10-06-20, 06:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's my thought also - a little bit of rot on the decking. That portion of the wood was probably softer than the rest and more susceptible to absorbing water.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 10-11-20, 06:10 AM
N

I havenít noticed these before, it looks like the start of holes ? Sorry images are all sideways. These are different walls in the living room. All at least shoulder height if that makes a difference

Old 10-11-20, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Sure they weren't from picture hooks? They use nails that are slanted.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeDone-Pict...43928366&psc=1

Old 10-11-20, 09:40 AM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
im getting these tiny slanted holes in multiple interior walls.
I've been a Realtor for 26 years-

That looks like somebody painted over nail holes or push-pin holes where a kid hung posters.
Unless you fill in the holes, (spackle or toothpaste) the paint over the holes will eventually pull away and reveal the hole.

Old 10-11-20, 12:52 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Are there any exposed wooden members, interior, that have the same holes in them? Such as basement/utility area wall studs, floor joists visible from basement/crawl, attic rafters etc? If no holes in those pieces, then that would be more evidence that this isn't insect related.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: