Help Identifying Indoor Pest from feces

Old 10-13-20, 07:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Indoor Pest from feces

Hello,

I recently moved into a new house last year and was in the process of replacing the fire alarms with a combination fire & co alarm. While removing the old fire alarm i notced some feces in and around the plastic eletrical box. Can someone help me identify the exact pest i'm dealing with and how i should go about treating them if they are behind the walls? If i were to guess i would say these are from roaches since a mouse physical couldn't make it's way inside and outside the box....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-20, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. It would help if you could tell us what area you're from since there's different critters in different places.
I'll give my 2cents until the expert answers. Unless you have some giant cockroaches where you live, I'd say they look like they'd be from some sort of rodent due to the size. A mouse can get into a hole the size of your pinky and can flatten out and get in the thinnest crack under a door, Might be something other than a mouse but doubt they're from a bug.

tragichouse voted this post useful.
Old 10-13-20, 01:25 PM
T
Hey,

I'm from houston texas. I thought it looked like "mouse" droppings but i was like there is no way a mouse could get in here...maybe we are wrong based on your feedback! Hopefully someone else can also weigh in.

Old 10-13-20, 01:30 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Large species of roaches do leave fecal droppings that are elongated and have ridges running lengthwise. Rodents do not. Look at the first pic, upper left. That one appears to have the ridges. Look closely at the droppings with a magnifier to see if the ridges are on them. Be aware that there may be mouse and roach droppings present. The American, Oriental, Smoky Brown cockroach are some examples of the type that have ridged fecal droppings. The following is what I copied/pasted from a Terminix site. Do a search for "large specie cockroach fecal droppings" for more info. Keep us posted.

"Larger roaches leave behind solid feces shaped like cylinders. This waste matter is also brown or black, depending on the species. The droppings from these larger roaches have ridges running the length of the feces, from tip to tip. These ridges will help you differentiate roach droppings from mouse droppings, which do not have ridges. Mouse droppings are also slightly larger and often have short hairs in them."

tragichouse voted this post useful.
Old 10-13-20, 01:31 PM
T
As a side note, I also didn't see any droppings with pointed ends which also made me beleive it wasn't mice. That being said, we have heard scurrying in the attic once in a while but we thought this might be some squirrel

Old 10-13-20, 01:35 PM
T
Hey PaBugman,

we have seen some pretty darn big cockroaches at night when we happen to be up and about. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-13-20, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
So I would listen to PaBugman. But have to say, remind me never to move to Houston if you have roaches that big, lol! Yikes.