How Often Should I Check Rodent Bait Box?

Old 11-20-20, 06:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Often Should I Check Rodent Bait Box?

Last winter we had a problem with rodents getting into the house. They chewes a hole in the timber beams just beneath where the roof meets the walls. I'm afraid the same could happen again this year.

The hole has obviously been fixed. And I have installed a bait box out the side of the house. It's bolted in place and fully loaded with poison bait.

How often should the thing be checekd and reset?

Any other tips about keeping out rodents would be appreciated.

thanks, A.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-20, 12:12 PM
T
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
There's a saying, "A watched rodent bait trap never empties". Having said that, I find that checking weekly should be sufficient. You can check more frequently but if you find there's a need to refill often that's an indication you should add more stations. Wear latex gloves when handling bait stations to protect yourself and keep your scent off the stations.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 11-21-20, 09:16 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
If you check once a week, you will quickly get "in tune" with when it needs to be changed. Beyond bait consumption, other factors that will require re-baiting are humidity/rain damaging the bait, insects/slugs consuming bait, moldy bait, etc. Don't "over clean" the interior as rodent odors will attract and make rodents comfortable quicker. Moldy, mushy bait or dead rodents in box would be reasons to clean it thoroughly. Otherwise, if it is dry inside, I wouldn't even dump the rodent droppings out.

Even though it's in a box, sometimes a hard driving rain will splash up into the box or the rain may get under the "lip" where the lid meets the box and run in. The boxes aren't rainproof all the time but you'll get a feel for that. The bait needs to be palatable to the rodents. Just because it still looks good to us, doesn't make it good to them.

On rare occasions I've found baby rabbits, small snakes or shed skins, and large spiders living in them.

Start once a week and you'll quickly find a pattern that works for your area and situation.