How do I kill these roaches?

Old 11-26-20, 11:25 AM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How do I kill these roaches?

Hello. Please see the attached image. Guessing they are German cockroaches

Live in a highrise condo building. Have seen about five of them in total on the kitchen counter. Tend to come out early in the morning or at night. Found droppings on counter and in pantry where keep peanut butter and bananas. Droppings are concentrated in those areas. May be more droppings in the sink.

Have old garbage disposal that don't use any more. Also, for a long stretch, admittedly wasn't the best about wiping down the counters. Likewise, was cooking eggs in skillet and letting skillet sit overnight with dried egg remnants. Guessing attracted to the food, including eggs leftovers and ripe bananas in pantry, but neighbors could be culprit too.

Cleaning more thoroughly now. Also, taking out trash more and tying trash bag at night if not enough trash to take out. Washing dishes every other day, but that will likely go up to every day--at least until get under control.

Not going to buy more bananas. Peanut butter will be kept in fridge from now on. So no more food will be on counters. Cleaning skillet after use and putting in oven.

Please identify roach and tell me what kind of bait to get. Also, please provide instructions on how to use it. I know five roaches signals a real infestation but I would prefer not to overdo it if possible.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Old 11-27-20, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Best would be to bring this up with your building's maintenance dept or management. It is very unlikely the roaches are only in your unit. They are probably a building wide problem and would best be treated as a whole. Otherwise you are fighting a very tough battle.

I have had very good luck with Advion roach bait. I put it out as directed. It doesn't work instantly but and in a few days you should see fewer roaches and over time the roaches will get smaller and fewer until they're all gone. But, I don't think you can get total control if the building is infested. You'll kill the roaches in your unit but others from the rest of the building will always be migrating in.

Old 11-27-20, 06:23 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
The gel roach baits are the best baits; various brand names to choose from, all are good including Advion as mentioned above.

The "insect growth regulators" IGR's, are necessary for german roach control. Use either the point source or the aero, your choice. The point source is quick and easy and works just as well. Pay attention to how many you need per square feet in the room(s) treated.

The Victor roach traps are designed to appeal to German roaches specifically by using a pheromone. They will be attracted to these traps more so than any other glue trap.

Clean shelving and storage areas well as even crumbs or slight residue can be a feast for a small roach. Be aware that neighbors may have roaches, so you may never get rid of them but with bait, IGR's, traps you will be using 3 different but effective treatments at the same time. The labels/data sheets that come with them will be detailed as to use and application.

https://www.domyown.com/roach-bait-c-2_68.html
https://search.domyown.com/search?w=gentrol&apelog=yes
https://search.domyown.com/search?w=...one&apelog=yes

jrsick voted this post useful.
Old 11-27-20, 09:54 PM
T
OK. I'm going to reach out to maintenance. If they aren't going to do anything, I'll look into these treatments.

Old 01-04-21, 09:50 AM
T
I haven't put this stuff down yet because I'm still focused on cleaning and condensing, which has made a huge difference. I've only see two or three roaches since I posted this. But I still plan to put the bait down and everything. Before I do, I would like to know why you didn't recommend boric acid, which some websites say is an effective way to kill German cockroaches. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-21, 03:28 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
If an insect contacts boric acid, they will get it on them which cuts them, and they dehydrate as they don't heal from cuts. Boric acid is repellent as a spray or dust application (not as a bait). It may have value in that you could "toxify" a particular environment such as "pipe chases", wall voids, etc. Using it as a stand alone product in the general living environment isn't productive as they can avoid it. Using it in confined spaces that you want to "toxify" is fine.

Even the boric acid baits are old school; modern day baits are much better in various ways. Boric acid in the more elemental form is used by the pest control industry mixed with a glycol to penetrate wood and treat/prevent wood-boring beetles and termites effectively. The industry doesn't use boric acid in general pest control as modern day insecticides are better, more user friendly. If boric acid worked as well as claimed, of course I'd (we) have used it as it is dirt cheap and sure sounds easy. Results matter.

I do not advise using something as repellent as boric acid in conjunction with baiting as you will be working against your own strategy. There are a few non-repellent sprays on the market, but even with them, you still don't want to get close to the bait, if for a reason one would want to do both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: