Help with type of bugs

Old 02-14-21, 01:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with type of bugs

Hi I have just moved into a new house and have come across about 20 of these little pests in the carpets. I was wondering if anyone knows what they are and how to deal with them. Hoping to get rid of them before I get all the furniture in. Thanks

Old 02-14-21, 02:27 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
It is a larva, and I think it's carpet beetle larvae. Larvae are hard to ID in general. I know nothing about the company that I've linked to; it's just for ID purposes only. See what you think.

Are the larvae alive? Are you seeing small, roundish adult beetles anywhere?

https://www.quikkill.com/carpet-beetle-larvae

Old 02-14-21, 02:32 PM
S
Thanks for your response, yes I'm pretty sure that is the same as the larva in the link.

The ones I have seen have mostly been alive. I've vacuumed four times in the last 24 hours but still found one today.

Not seen any flying insects at all just these little guys.

Old 02-14-21, 03:25 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
The adult beetles don't fly; not sure if they can. Keep an eye out for moths inside as these might be moth larvae, but still a stored product pest much like carpet beetles. Assuming it is carpet beetles, they live on much more than carpet as modern day carpet is rarely woolen, but is synthetic. Old clothing stored away, dry pet food lost and forgotten about, taxidermy, skins, etc. Hopefully and probably they are/were in something that the previous owners had and took out with them when they left. The gestation period can be up to a year sometimes. Shouldn't cause a problem for you beyond being a nuisance as long as you aren't careless with stored dry foods, pet foods, etc. Typically, with stored product pests such as this, where you find the greatest density is when you are close to the source. The kicker here is, the source probably left with the previous occupants.

Vacuuming is good. If you want to treat yourself, then an insecticide concentrate that you mix with water and apply in a compressed air sprayer would be a good option. Some good Active Ingredients would be: Bifenthrin, deltamethrin, lambda-cyhalothrin.

Old 02-14-21, 03:42 PM
S
Thanks for your comprehensive response! That sounds positive for me as I have time to spray the pesticides as you describe. I don't have pets and am a bit of a clean freak when at home so hopefully able to eradicate them fairly quickly.

Doesn't sound so positive for the previous owner, I think they had pets and kids so there is a good chance that is why the problem was there to begin with.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
​​​​​​
​​​

Old 03-01-21, 08:55 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I ran it through iNaturalist just out of interest, here's what I got:

Carpet beetles are a pain in the butt. We had them at my grandmother's house, and I used to work at a historic house museum where they are a real problem. One thing I know from museum work is that they eat natural fibers, so they're probably going after something other than your synthetics. Other than that, as the other folks said, keep vacuuming.

Another thing to be aware of is that the spines on the larvae can leave what look like bug bites on your skin, and it can give you a bedbug scare, but carpet beetle ones go in a line as they wander across your body. Beyond the mild irritation they can't hurt you, they're just annoying and can damage textiles made with natural fibers. I also had some do their metamorphosis in little casings they attached to my teddy bear and shiatsu pillow which was very annoying. Keep looking for them, and good luck!

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: