What kind of tiny fly is this?

Old 04-14-21, 03:39 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of tiny fly is this?

Looks like a fruit fly (about the same size) but apple cider vinegar traps don't work.
Finding them indoors in my office which has no house plants or drains and is not near the kitchen.

Any idea?

nrg

What is it?

Old 04-15-21, 05:03 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
That's a good close up, but I can't see colors, if any. Specifically, what color is the head and body? It looks mostly black with a lighter underside?

Do a search for "fungus gnats" and "dung fly" and see what you think. The antennae of fungus gnat isn't as curled as your specimen, but when insects die the antennae may change. I know you don't have houseplants, but fungus gnats do live other places as well.

Is your office "at home" as opposed to a commercial type building? Check basement and crawl space if applicable too.

Old 04-15-21, 09:13 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My office is at home on the 2nd floor quite a distance from the crawl space. It doesn't really match fungus gnat or dung fly AFAIKT. Mainly I'm trying to figure out what kind of trap to set to catch these little buggers. Apple cider vinegar doesn't work at all.

nrg

Old 04-15-21, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I found this doing a search (you're in Oregon, right?) and the bug in the top pic looks pretty much like your pic:.

https://www.occnewspaper.com/bug-bit...-fungus-gnats/

Old 04-15-21, 11:33 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Small fly species are "source related", meaning they are coming from a specific source as opposed to hatching/emerging in general. The source is close to where the most dense fly population is found.

Are they only found in the office? If so, does the office share a common wall with a bathroom?

If they are found in other areas, maybe to a lesser extent, it is sometimes helpful to keep doors closed at all times to see if the problem can be isolated to one specific room.

Identification of the flies will be important if the problem continues. Sometimes, a fly problem will go away as quickly as it came, sometimes. If it persists, the proper ID of the flies will lead us to the particular harborage that they thrive in which will be a clue to the direction to go. Start collecting whole specimens to eventually take to a county agricultural extension office for ID. They will be a source of objective info. Here in PA the extension office would be staffed by Penn State. Oregon will have a similar university.

The only fly traps that I'm aware of that work for small fly species would be fruit fly traps but even then you have to find the source and eliminate it as there will always be a resident population of fruit flies. Sure, the traps will catch a lot, but they will still be present in the facility. Traps treat the symptoms, not the source. Keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: