mice in the oven??

Old 05-14-21, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
mice in the oven??

Let me first say that I have been enjoying these forums for a very long time, and this is the first time I'm posting and fear I may not want to know the answer!!

I have a skillet that I use exclusively for my daily breakfast egg, and I've developed the lazy habit of simply stashing it in the oven when not in use. This is a 30" slide-in gas range, BTW, with a warming drawer under the oven. I almost never use the oven, having a small electric wall oven on the other side of the kitchen. Recently I've started to see what looks like like little black sesame seeds in the pan, and I don't use black sesame seeds. One day I made it a point to snug up a lid on the pan and the next day, no "seeds". (usually a spatula in the pan keeps the lid somewhat ajar) Last night I used the lid on another pan and completely forgot about it; this morning: more "seeds" in my pan.

I fear I'm about to get an education about just how tiny a gap a mouse needs to get into something but an oven??

Popular Reply

05-14-21, 07:34 AM
2john02458
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
There are lots of openings in a gas oven especially near the bottom. Take out the warming drawer and look underneath the range. You will probably find lots more evidence and maybe even a nest there. Its a nice cozy warm place. Bait stations and glue boards will fit under or behind the drawer but need to be checked and serviced regularly. The odor will let you know.

Old 05-14-21, 07:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
It is very possible. But now that you have the mice trained where to go for food it will be easy to place some poison or traps for them.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-21, 07:34 AM
There are lots of openings in a gas oven especially near the bottom. Take out the warming drawer and look underneath the range. You will probably find lots more evidence and maybe even a nest there. Its a nice cozy warm place. Bait stations and glue boards will fit under or behind the drawer but need to be checked and serviced regularly. The odor will let you know.

eddieo45, PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-21, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Take out the warming drawer and look underneath the range. You will probably find lots more evidence and maybe even a nest there.
I'd rather move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadeladie voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-21, 09:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
Just be glad you didn't find a snake skin in the oven.

Old 05-15-21, 06:04 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Much good advice above. I would definitely set snap traps inside and behind oven as they are trained to now find food in that area. Sometimes pro's will "pre-bait" prior to setting traps, especially for rats as they are "neophobic", fear of new things, but mice are not. You've already pre-baited them so take advantage of it.

What is underneath the kitchen? Basement, crawl space, slab, etc.? I'd consider also baiting/trapping on top of the foundation wall, if you have access, immediately underneath the kitchen as they would surely be on top of it.

Once you've eliminated the mice, use steel wool to seal off any pipe, wire, gas line openings that are large enough to allow rodent access. Keep fresh rodent bait/traps underneath the kitchen to minimize future infestation.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 05-15-21, 06:22 AM
If you are queasy about using snap traps, put them in paper bags or a small box set on the side that you can then pick up and dispose of without having to touch (or even see) the results.

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: