Insects in window frame

Old 06-24-21, 02:05 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insects in window frame

I'm in the UK, wondering if you can help identify these guys. They are in my bathroom, at the moment water splashes onto the windowsill so it's all wet. Someone is living in the window frame and making a horrible mess. They leave mess that looks like the bottom picture. I've seen some bugs walking round that look like the top picture, so thinking it might be them. They are small, around a couple of mm or a tenth of an inch in length. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!!

Old 06-24-21, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,896
Received 102 Upvotes on 95 Posts
I believe they are "springtails". Search images and see what you think. They do vary in shape from region to region. Very much prefer wet environments, especially wet building material. The second pic looks like a chronic moisture issue. I feel certain that the wall needs to be opened up, dried out, and materials replaced at this point.

I would expect to find "psocids", or booklice in the same environment. Neither insect will hurt people and do no structural damage, but their presence indicates a moisture level that needs to be addressed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: