Spider and stinkbug control

Old 09-29-22, 08:25 AM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Spider and stinkbug control

I have always noticed a lot of spider webs in the bushes and plants around my house, but there seem to be a lot more than usual on the house (doorways, windows, eaves, etc.) and I have been noticing some inside more than there used to be. The stinkbugs are also starting to appear, mostly outside, but occasionally I find one inside. What is a good treatment to keep these away? Does both the outside and inside need to be treated? Thank you.

Old 09-29-22, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Until Pabugman comes along, I'll just give you my 2cents. Unless you have a big fear of spiders, I'd leave them be as they catch and kill a lot of other unwanted bugs that are far worse.
As for stinkbugs, nope, there's nothing you can do about them. The best way to keep them out is to make sure your windows and doors are sealed pretty good, and even then they can get in. They sit and wait and dash in before you even realize it. They smell when killed, but otherwise, they don't hurt you.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-29-22, 09:16 AM
V
Haha, yeah I am sure he will have a solution when he replies! I had carpenter ants once and read a thread that he was involved in and got some Taurus SC like he recommended and after one time spraying the perimeter, I never saw them again. But that is a great point about the spiders taking care of other insects. I don't have a fear of spiders, and actually kind of like seeing their webs around the bushes and stuff, but they are a little annoying when they are in the path of the door and my kids aren't a big fan of them when they are crawling around inside, especially the big ones. So if there is a way to keep them out of the house but let them be in the bushes still, that would be ideal.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 09-29-22, 11:38 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I do have an unnatural fear of spiders if inside the house. But I also know they do good and little harm. So, I made an agreement with them. If they make their webs along the upper door and window areas outside and catch the trash bugs and stay outside, in return they are welcome. BUT...Set just one of those 8 legs in the house and its curtains for one of us. I'll use a cannon to blow a hole in the ceiling if need be. I always have a vacuum cleaner at the ready.

As I always say. "Learn to embrace your fears, and never have an anxiety attack."

Old 09-29-22, 01:17 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
I like and use Suspend Polyzone interior/exterior for crawling insects in general. My choice for spiders, too. If I had a carpenter ant infestation, active, I'd use a fipronil based insecticide first, such as Termidor, Taurus, Fuse, etc. Otherwise my choice is Suspend Polyzone. Now that the seasons are changing is the best time to spray for stink bugs. I will be doing so within days. Very slow kill and knockdown, but they will die and has a long residual. Little to no staining. I use .75 oz per gal of water. Label allows for stronger or lighter use. Up to the operator. In stink bug season, at least until freezing weather, I'll treat exterior monthly. Good to treat attics, too, if accessible.

Old 09-29-22, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Is this something new for stinkbugs? I didn't know they had anything for them. Haven't seen any ads yet.
Is this safe if you have pets?

Old 09-29-22, 02:01 PM
V
Good deal. I will order this along with my rat stuff! So to apply this stuff, do you just spray the entire perimeter outside, like a couple feet up the wall and outward, around doors, etc.? What about inside? Do you just spray around the baseboards or what? It doesn't stain walls or hardwoods or furniture, etc.?

I like and use Suspend Polyzone interior/exterior for crawling insects in general. My choice for spiders, too. If I had a carpenter ant infestation, active, I'd use a fipronil based insecticide first, such as Termidor, Taurus, Fuse, etc. Otherwise my choice is Suspend Polyzone. Now that the seasons are changing is the best time to spray for stink bugs. I will be doing so within days. Very slow kill and knockdown, but they will die and has a long residual. Little to no staining. I use .75 oz per gal of water. Label allows for stronger or lighter use. Up to the operator. In stink bug season, at least until freezing weather, I'll treat exterior monthly. Good to treat attics, too, if accessible.

Old 09-29-22, 02:46 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
An old saying about spiders. I have no clue about it's origin. "A spider in my garden is my friend. A spider in my house is my enemy"

No fear of spiders but if I see one in my house I kill it.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-29-22, 04:35 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
I just finished doing the exterior of our house, wearing long sleeves/pants/gloves/face shield/knee pads. It isn't as easy as simply spraying stuff. You have to put it where it needs to be, and with stinkbugs that will be where it is difficult for us to get to. Thoroughness is important. All soffits, even if it's 3 stories in the air. Since I no longer have power spraying equipment, I take the screens out of our second floor windows to spray up to the higher soffits. Much dripping on me, windows, etc. Treat around every penetration such as fan vents, etc. I went on the roof to access more soffits. Every crack and crevice that you can find around doors, windows, siding junctions, under and up against the bottom row of siding, in between storm and house door, open doors and treat and close. Get in the attics and be thorough. If the gap between soffit and house siding isn't effectively caulked, then success will be minimal anyway. Couple years ago I rented a man lift and went over everything. It's a lot of work, much more than for the typical crawling insect. Might need to do interior crack and crevice around windows if they are coming in that way. Ours are Andersen casements and are well made/sealed. Lesser quality double hungs will allow problems. There are so many variables with stinkbug treatment. Do your best and see what happens. You'll learn as you go. It's safe around people and pets, just don't put it where they are and go. Avoiding pet exposure adds another complication to the effort. I'm trying hard to show that this isn't as simple as walking around and spraying. In any case, you'll kill a lot of stink bugs, but will it be enough? Time will tell, but you'll get better at it as you judge your results. Here is the northeast, now is the time to get a good residual insecticide on our houses for stinkbugs as they are sensing the cold and wanting to come inside. Spring time is too late as those are the ones that came inside in the fall and now want to get out. Repeat multiple times every fall.

Old 09-30-22, 11:24 PM
V
Is this safe if I have a dog? I am more concerned about what I spray inside the house and if she happens to lick the floors or walls where I spray.

Old 10-01-22, 08:39 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Indoor application should be made so that there are no pet accessible wet spots. Used as per the labeled directions, the pets won't be exposed. In other words, the insecticide is safe for pets and people when applied in such a way that pets and people aren't exposed. It's up to the operator if it's a safe application or not. Spraying the exterior of baseboards/walls is pretty much useless, as insects don't live on the surface of baseboards. If the operator believes the baseboards are involved with an insect problem, which could be as insects will hide behind them. In that case, then getting the insecticide behind and under the baseboards is paramount. That where knee pads, towels, time, etc are necessary. If the baseboard is such that you can't get insecticide behind/under, then don't treat it. Surface spray in living areas isn't helpful for crawling insects. Fleas, bedbugs, sometimes yes but then vacating for a time frame is necessary. In unfinished basements, garages, outbuildings, exteriors, then a more liberal surface spraying of wall/ceiling junction, wall/floor junction, will help and be safe enough. In living areas, if necessary to treat, then crack and crevice treatment is required. Operator can't stand 3 feet away and spray at a baseboard and call that crack and crevice treatment.

The operator and where the insecticide is put is the biggest factor in whether an insecticide is pet/child safe or not. The labeled directions, which are extensive on today's insecticides, are informative as to application technique.

If a pet found and licked a wet spot, I would expect gagging and nausea. How much more toxic of an effect will be determined by how much insecticide was ingested, size of pet, etc. Solving insect problems with insecticide requires putting the insecticide where the insects live, breed, feed, etc. It's rarely going to be easy and accomodatingfor us as operators. In the case of stink bugs, we need to realize that they fly, which adds a whole other level of complication beyond typical crawling insect control. That's why I'm adamant that even minimal stink bug control requires a thorough treatment, much of it in exterior areas that are difficult and possibly dangerous for us to access.

Old 10-01-22, 10:09 AM
V
Thanks for the thorough explanation. It sounds like I should just keep the dog away then until everything dries. I know I mentioned stinkbugs as part of the original post, but my main target really is the spiders here. Occasionally a stinkbug is in the house but it likely came in when the door was open. The kids really freak out when a spider is crawling on the wall next to their bed so that is my main target

Old 10-02-22, 06:41 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, put the insecticide where it belongs as best you can and let it dry and you've greatly minimized exposure. You may only need to treat the living areas once in a while or maybe just the first time and after that, focus on basement, crawl, attic, garage, exterior, etc. That's what I'm doing now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: