Help with bugs on the top of my doors please

Old 10-30-22, 11:47 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help with bugs on the top of my doors please

Hello experts,

I recently discovered a few of these bugs on the top of various doors inside my house. I'm not sure what they are but they are freaking my family out. I noticed that they are usually around the top of the door and will crawl around the door frame. I apologize for the quality of the photos because they are so small and difficult to photograph. They are light grey in color and are semitransparent. I have killed a few of them on each door, I wonder if they are coming from inside the doors. Keep in mind that I do live in a very foggy area but I always have a dehumidifier on and have many closet dehumidifiers around the house. I did a lot of research online but cannot determine if they are wood mites or whatnot. I would like to ask if any experts on the forum can help me out. Thank you in advance for any helpful information and guidance on what I should do.

Old 10-30-22, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Cockroach nymphs. Call an exterminator or look into diy bug treatments.

Old 10-30-22, 03:18 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
I personally can't see any of them well enough. Can't count the legs which is an important aspect in insect ID. If the dark spot is the head, and the other end is the tail with two appendages from the rear coming out at an angle, if that is the correct view, then they may be silverfish. Otherwise, I need a better focused pic with more lighting.

Old 10-31-22, 05:40 PM
I
Unhappy closeup picture

I tried to take another closeup photo, hopefully this is clearer for identification. Thank you

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 10-31-22, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Those are better photos. I believe they are booklice.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 11-01-22, 05:53 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, better pics, thanks. Look up "psocids", the technical name for book lice. Basically harmless, but indicate a dampness/moisture problem close by.

Old 11-24-22, 08:14 PM
I
Thanks for the information! What should I do to get rid of them? I also see some outside my front door

Old 11-25-22, 10:08 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
They can be difficult to get rid of, especially if the underlying source of humidity/moisture isn't remedied. Crawling insect sprays, which leave a residual that the insect crawls through, will help with the ones that come out of the walls, door frames, attic, etc, but the greater amount will be in the moisture source. The moisture source doesn't have to be obvious, either, like a leaking pipe or such. Unvented or poorly vented crawl spaces, attics, soffits will harbor these guys. Improper vapor barriers, exhaust fans not ducting to exterior, etc. Physical issues like these will cause widespread moisture issues, but no one spot that seems obvious.

Are there closets near the signs of infestation? If so, there may be stored materials inside packaging that isn't subject to the de humidifiers and closet dehumidifiers. The dehumidifiers may not be able to keep up well enough. If moisture/dampness is penetrating the walls from the exterior, drying out the interior could actually draw the moisture into the living spaces faster, through a slow wicking process.

Crawling insect aerosols sprayed lightly and evenly around the door frames and interior of closets, if nearby, could offer relief to the family but probably won't provide long term control.

Do internet searches for psocids and learn about what they like. University websites will give neutral and objective info. Keep us posted.

Old 11-26-22, 02:26 PM
I
Thank you sir, much appreciated for all your useful information. I'll do some more research and see how it goes, I used a dehumidifier and have been opening windows for better air circulation. And the situation has already improved greatly. For the past few days I've only seen one or two. Much more relieved but will keep the house less humid and more ventilated. Thank you again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: