Rats in vehicle engine

Old 11-05-22, 10:00 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Rats in vehicle engine

My sister gave me her van a year ago. It has been parked on my drive way and has not been driven for a year. For the past few days, I have seen rats in my front yard. Today, when I lifted the hood, I see peanut shells on top of the engine. Definitely rats.

I jumped started the van and drove it around the block and everything seems to be fine.

Anyway to prevent them from nesting or chewing up stuffs in the van?

Old 11-06-22, 05:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Since the van is parked outside and not moved much, I doubt there is much to do to deter rodents. Even ants have been known to nest inside vehicles that aren't used much. Some people try moth balls on top of engine, but they need to be replenished regularly, if they even work. No real evidence that they do, but it won't hurt. I've tried moth balls once in a porch soffit to keep squirrels out until I could repair it the next day. Upon arrival, I found a pile of mothballs on the ground below the soffit...

https://www.google.com/search?client...utomotive+wrap

Honda, and maybe others not, are using and selling a hot-pepper based wire/hose wrap. Apparently the newer wire/hose wraps from the manufacturer are soy based and attractive to rodents. I've advised this wrap to various people, but no word on if they used it or if it works.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/33236/...odent-invasion

Old 11-06-22, 05:30 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I agree with the soy based hoses because rats ate through all of the hoses in one of my sister's other car. Mechanic told her it is because the hoses are soy based. It costed so much money to repair. Fortunately, the insurance company will cover on the first time.

I am going to try peppermint spray and a few other things. Will let you know what works.

Thanks PABugman.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: