Spider ID

Old 11-13-22, 01:35 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
Spider ID

I have been killing 2 or 3 of these guys every day in my basement for the last few weeks. We have never seen this variety of spider or any spiders this large. We had new interior foundation drains installed this summer and they seem to be living behind the footer drain boards. I've sprayed with Black Flag spider and Scorpion killer. It kills them when on contact but doesn't seem to be slowing them down. They range from 1/2" to the big crunchy ones (they actually crunch when you step on them) like this that is about 2" - 2 1/2" overall.

Old 11-13-22, 04:22 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
I don't know what specie that spider is but it appears to be a hunter/predator type as opposed to a web maker. Aerosols don't leave a good residual for spiders as they do for roaches, ants, etc. I'd rather use a concentrate that you mix with water and use in a compressed air sprayer or similar. Two of the active ingredients in the concentrates that I prefer for spiders: deltamethrin and lambda-cyhalothrin.

Exposed concrete does not accept residual well, especially from aerosols, but the two above will work.

Old 11-14-22, 06:11 AM
C
Thanks for the response. You are right about the webs. I will try the concentrates that you recommend. If I can't eliminate them I'll probably call a pro. If my wife sees just one of them in a living space she'll be calling a real estate agent.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 11-15-22, 10:14 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I yiy yiy! 2.5", and two to three every day for two weeks?! I'd be freaking. Man, I wish you luck!!!

Old 11-24-22, 10:55 AM
C
PABugMan - I sprayed the entire basement perimeter one week ago. I used the Deltamethrin that you recommended. I have been checking the basement 3-4 times a day since then. The day after I sprayed I saw one small spider of the same species and it was in bad shape. The next time i checked it was dead. That was the only one I have seen all week. I intend to do a follow up spray next week.

Thanks for the very successful tip (and my wife thanks you too).

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: