pest control companies, termite coverage, termidor

Old 12-02-22, 06:07 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pest control companies, termite coverage, termidor

I live in NC.
House is 20+ years old and was treated with dursban when built (slab foundation).
After I bought my house, got a notice from Pest Control Co. for "termite coverage". I pay an annual inspection fee and get some sort of coverage. They spend 5 minutes looking for mud tunnels. (which of course I know how to do myself)
There is no paperwork for what the coverage is (I did ask), and I get a little different story every time I ask.
I know they will spot treat with termidor if needed but I think that's all they do. They have thrown around the word "termite bond" without explaining this. This time they didn't inspect the house but sent me a reciept saying it was inspected, and they were required by LAW to file this paperwork. Even though there was no inspection? There is only one person who works in the office and I keep asking for an explanation of the service and keep getting the runaround. I just don't know how pest control companies work. Or real estate - the bank just requires no active termites for a mortgage at time of sale, right?

I've been paying this fee for many years, and since I know termiticides don't last forever, I feel like I need to cut my losses and quit paying this. But I don't know if I have something of value and just don't know it.
A few years back they quoted $700 to do a termidor booster, I think that was trenching but no drilling. It's about 150 linear feet of foundation. The company told me that if I let this "termite bond" expire, I'd have to get a full treatment instead of the booster. What is the difference? The drilling? They wouldn't tell me. A quick calculation for the DIY price of termidor is $250 (plus labor of course), so...

Old 12-03-22, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,840
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Sounds sketchy to me, too.

Did they do the initial Dursban treatment? If not, is it possible they watch for real estate transactions and opportunistically show up with a song and a dance about maintaining warranty? I had a customer who, shortly after they purchased their house, came home to find the driveway seal coated and they didn't order it. The company said it's a standing order and they do it every year. Turns out, the company was related to the previous owners, knew they sold and moved, so opportunistically showed up with a quick job done when no one home, knowing full well that these were new owners.

In any case, the Dursban is no longer present, I'm sure.

The laws/regulations are determined by the individual states, and over 20 years would have changed, hopefully improved much. In PA, the buyer and lending agency would have been given a Wood Destroying Insect Report and any paperwork relating to treatment/warranty. I've not known of an agency to require on-going treatment, just a report/paperwork/maybe treatment at the time of sale.

If you don't have any paperwork now, then what would you bring to the table should you sell your property? They or someone could do an inspection report, but when you tell the buyer that there is a warranty/bond, someone's got to physically produce proof.

Their price for termite treatment sounds reasonable for this part of the country (PA), but prices differ by region, sometimes a lot.

Fipronil is the active ingredient in Termidor and can be purchased under different brand names. One that comes to mind is Taurus SC. We used a lot of Taurus when it came out due to costs and our warranty exposure didn't change at all. Nothing wrong with paying a little more for Termidor though. You're not in business dealing with daily costs and competitors.

Fipronil as the active ingredient, is an outstanding termiticide and would be my choice. It is non-repellent, as opposed to Dursban and some others. If I was doing a preventative treatment on my house, I wouldn't drill, either. If you have tree stumps near the house, I'd get some fipronil around and under the stumps, too.

In PA, the regulatory agency is the PA Dept of Agriculture. Dig up any license #'s on the receipt or on the side of their trucks, or any advertising and contact the NC regulatory agency responsible to see if you can learn more about this company's history and maybe what the requirements are for paperwork concerning warranties, bonds, etc.

Keep us posted as you learn things.

Last edited by PAbugman; 12-04-22 at 07:48 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: