Black ants

Old 06-13-23, 05:08 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Black ants

Hi All, Black ants running amuck. they are much smaller than Carpenter ants , mostly outside and have seen a few running around inside on the floor, how should we try and control them.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 06-13-23, 06:23 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
For localized infestations I like the gel baits, but for more general and wider spread areas I like the granule ant baits. Popular ones are Advance, Max Force, Invict, Intice. Not listed in any order of preference, but if I could only choose one, it would be Max Force, but all are used by pros.

Read the label thoroughly as to application instructions, especially concerning day/night application, predicted rain, re-application intervals, etc.

https://www.domyown.com/ant-baits-c-1_60.html

If you would rather use a water based spray, buy a concentrate that contains Fipronil as the active ingredient. Treat exterior perimeter a couple feet up the wall and out on the soil. I liked to treat the bottom 4 feet of mature tree trunks for tree nesting ants, especially carpenter ants. Works slowly. Don't use any other sprays. If you already have, then wait a week or two. Otherwise, learn what the label says for application. Fipronil may not be allowed for interior treatment yet. If you want to do both, make sure you don't spray where you bait.

Old 06-13-23, 07:16 AM
T
Received 112 Upvotes on 100 Posts
Two comments to build on the previous post. Bait is most cost effective and efficient when used along identified trails. Try to identify trails and apply per instructions. Using a perimeter spray around the house makes sense and is easy to use.

I would add bait traps inside to protect in case the ants have migrated. I found Terro workd well for many types of ants. Finally, be certain to use protection when using bait or sprays.

Last edited by Tony P.; 06-13-23 at 09:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: