Ants or??

Old 06-25-23, 10:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ants or??

Long Island NY, 2nd time I walked into my backyard to find a ton of these ants -- swimming in my inground pool. Sprayed the perimeter with an insecticide 2 weeks ago, and found another bunch of these bugs in my pool (again) today!
Anyone able to positively ID them and/or thoughts on how to keep them out of my life/pool/home??
thnx.

Last edited by Jeffsdroid; 06-25-23 at 10:43 AM. Reason: TYPOS
Old 06-26-23, 07:20 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
Definitely ants, not termites. Winged ants are the reproductives of the ant colony that is nearby, probably in the ground or inside tree trunks. They are going to swarm at least once a year for mating. It's a force of nature and as they come from inside the ground or trees, surface spraying won't stop a reproductive swarm, though it may kill off some foraging ants from the colony.

Normally, I recommend a water based insecticide, "fipronil", as the active ingredient for ants, but it's not available to NY residents. There are good ant baits and I recommend either Max Force Granular or Advance carpenter ant bait.
Pay close attention to the instructions for application, especially with Advance. Also, don't apply bait for about 2 weeks after the last insecticide spraying, and don't spray near the bait after application. The sprays, except for fipronil based, are repellent, which is the opposite of what you want when baiting. There are other baits for ants available that you can consider. I personally like the two I recommended, and I lean towards Advance, even knowing the more specific application instructions. Re-application will most likely be necessary; that's kind of how it works.
https://www.domyown.com/ant-baits-c-1_60.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: