Fastest mice poison available in small quantities?

Old 06-26-23, 12:06 PM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Fastest mice poison available in small quantities?

Su guys ever since 'First Strike' soft bait was recommended here some years ago, that was always my go-to product which always worked inside of 2 weeks, usually within one week. I used to get the product on eBay costing around $25 for a pack which would last for a long time.

However now I am seeing some mice droppings and looking on the net seeing only the larger boxes which I cannot afford right t now so I am seeking a similarly potent alternative which I can get in smaller quantities. I would need like 20 pcs. Any recommendations please? I am seeing brands like Victor, Double-tap and Alpha tech Flatline, any of those would be as good as First Strike please?

Old 06-26-23, 04:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
No way to know without knowing the "active ingredient". The other names are just brand names. I can say confidently that most rodenticides are "single feed" now, except for one that I still see, "Diphacinone". You have to find the "active ingredients" on the package. If you post the names of active ingredients, I should be able to tell.

mikehende voted this post useful.
Old 06-27-23, 05:08 AM
M
Thanks.

Victor shows the active ingredient which is 'Diphacinone – 0.005%'.

Alpha tech and Double Tap both shows 'chlorophacinone'

Old 06-27-23, 07:07 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Both of them are 1st generation rodenticides, meaning that they are "multiple feed" baits. Should work fine, but will take more feedings, which means enough bait has to be in place for all of them to eat it. If some don't get a lethal dose, then in time the anti-coag levels in their blood will return to normal, but using enough bait, it will work.

I've been searching for small quantities of the single feed baits and not having success. Rodenticides have gotten expensive. Dcon used to be a single feed, now they've switched to a different active ingredient, cholecalciferol, which is actually Vitamin D. Don't know anything about its effectiveness and speed on rodents.

The soft baits, all brands, seem to be well accepted by rodents and that really is important. If the active ingredient of a particular bait is top quality, but rodents won't readily accept it, then it won't work. I think the Flatline is worth trying based on the fact that it is a soft bait. I'm confident you'll get hits on it.

Have you considered setting a lot of snap traps? There are multiple catch traps (Tin Cats) that catch them alive, but you have to monitor them frequently.

Old 06-27-23, 07:25 AM
M
Yes, we have snap traps too. What I am gathering from you response the First Strike is a 'single feed' so would be best option? And if I cannot get it anymore then I should search for ANY single feed bait?

Old 06-27-23, 07:53 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
I personally would always use a single feed rodenticide. My favorite that I always have on hand is Contrac Blox. It's over $100. I'm trying to find a solution that fits with the observation "...which I cannot afford right now".
First Strike is an outstanding rodenticide and if you can afford it, I would recommend it.

With cost being a factor, FlatLine soft bait looks like an effective and value based rodenticide. Just make sure that there is fresh bait available to them, especially if you find that it's been eaten up. The multiple feed baits are more maintenance than the single feeds.

Old 06-27-23, 08:33 AM
M
I can get the contrac blox in small packs if I am understanding you that it is even better than first strike?

Old 06-27-23, 03:47 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Both are very good rodenticides, with different active ingredients. I'm retired now, but when I was making service calls on exterior bait station accounts, the soft baits would be reduced to the empty cloth wrapper after being eaten and would get drug out of or blown out of the stations and litter the customers property. It looked dangerous though it wasn't, but it was still a bad look. That's why I preferred block style baits and especially Contrac Blox. The soft baits are packed in oil, and if stored for a long time they would ooze the oil to some extent. Before retirement, my inventory didn't sit long enough to worry about it, but in retirement, the blox last considerably longer in storage.

It sounds like you won't be storing the bait for long, so either one will work well for you. Since you found the Contrac Blox in an acceptable price range, I say go for it. If you store some of the blox after opening, put them in an airtight container, well marked as to contents. Keep dry, room temperature and it will last a year plus. Keep away from dogs, as they like to chew. The Contrac Blox will work.

Old 06-28-23, 04:04 AM
M
Great, your info is now very clear to me thank you!, Just one final question please, how many blocks should I place in each room?

Old 06-28-23, 08:21 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to estimate the quantity needed without a working knowledge of the level of infestation. I'm guessing/estimating that one block would do the job of 2 or 3 soft bait packets. Hope that helps. If placing in living areas, make sure they are hidden/protected from people and pets, but sounds like you've done this before so you've probably got it figured out. I've found that baiting on top of the foundation wall, be it a crawl space or basement, underneath the rooms is effective too. Maybe your construction won't allow for that, though.

If the bait is hit hard, don't hesitate to replenish until activity ceases.

Old 06-29-23, 06:08 AM
M
Wr ordered the Contrac Blox yesterday, thank you very much for all of the detailed info and advice! Have a safe and enjoyable holiday w/e!

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: