Stung by a bunch of YellowJackets

Old 09-02-23, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stung by a bunch of YellowJackets

Hello:
I was stung by Yellowjackets when I tried to clear around the corner of my front yard which has several shrubs and thick-leaves of branches. There might have 'nest' for their survival.
At first, I thought the insects are bees, but after realized the insets have yellowish-color on their backs.
I applied over-the-counter remedies, but is there a more quick way to alleviate Pains and itchiness stung by yellojackets.?

Top Answer

09-02-23, 02:06 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
I've heard a meat tenderizer paste applied to the sting area.
I know calamine lotion works.
Cool the area with an ice pack over a piece of cloth.

They are nasty and appear to be very active this year.
One good thing is that they don't leave a stinger behind.

Old 09-02-23, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
I've heard a meat tenderizer paste applied to the sting area.
I know calamine lotion works.
Cool the area with an ice pack over a piece of cloth.

They are nasty and appear to be very active this year.
One good thing is that they don't leave a stinger behind.

PAbugman, PineCone voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-23, 02:18 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
Antihistamines/allergy meds can alleviate symptoms. Corticosteroid creams and/or calamine lotion are recommended. Ice/cold compress on affected area.

PineCone voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-23, 02:23 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I weed whacked a yellow jacket nest a couple of weeks ago. I have had lots of "bee" stings over the years but never any as painful or persistent as these. The stings were still painful after a day, unlike normal stings that hurt for just a couple of minutes. A full week later the sting sites were still red and itchy.

The night after I got stung I got even. I poured about a quart of the spider killer concentrate recommended by PABugman to rid my basement of spiders. A couple of days later I poked a stick into the opening and nary a wasp emerged.

Old 09-02-23, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
I always worry about people getting multiple stings in case they are allergic.

Old 09-03-23, 12:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
I mowed over a yellow jacket nest two years ago and took seven hits before I abandoned the mower and ran away. I have had broken bones hurt less than this - it was effing miserable. My daughter's stepfather is an ER doc so I texted him and he sent my daughter over with Benadryl (H1 antihistamine) and Pepsid (H2 antihistamine). I had ibuprofen on-hand or he would have sent that as well. The pain lasted a full week and the itching for three more weeks after that.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-05-23 at 08:00 PM.
cwbuff, PineCone voted this post useful.
Old 09-03-23, 06:44 AM
Thanks ALL for the responses with a lot of personal experiences. I'm not only one who got stung/attacked by Yellow Jackets. This is not a very first one. ... it's a second incident. About 10 days ago, I was stung multiple places, two stungs on my left arm, one stung on my right wrist and two stung on my left leg.
Yesterday, I attemped to clear at the nearest placer where I got stung at first time, 10 days ago, but I thought Yellow Jackets went away when I sprayed numerous times at that area, but the insects came back to its nest .
Luckily, I am not allergic and every summer I got stung by bees because I love a lot of bushes and flower trees all over the house. That's causing 'Heaven' for those aggressive Bees and Yellow Jackets. However, I still can not cut down those beautiful and natural flower-bushes and flower-trees. For that, it seems 'I'm paying a price.'

Old 09-03-23, 06:47 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
Prior to retiring I did a lot of wasp/yj/hornet treatment/removal for a real estate pro in the area. She was very allergic and kept me busy in late summer/fall. She told me that for those allergic, yellow jackets are the worst. Probably the worst for non-allergic people, too, from the sounds of these experiences.

Old 09-03-23, 10:25 AM
yellow jackets are the worst. Probably the worst for non-allergic people, too, from the sounds of these experiences.
-------------------------------------------------------
For me, Bees are the worst of all of insects. Every summer, no matter how I tried to be careful I ended up Bees-sting, not like this time, multiple stings, but only one, normally around my arm. but not my legs.
Yellow Jackets are milder than Bees that is in my case, ... pain lasts about 3-4 hours and itchy last one to two days. However, Bees-sting last for about one week, no matter what remedies I use. Also, Bee-sting is unlike Yellow Jackets, it's more pain and very, very itchy that causes a bit of loss of sleep.
For both Stings, I purchased 'Benadyle Sting Cream' priced about $6.00 from Amazon which works good, not perfect tho'.
This time, I got two stings, one is left leg behind keecap and another is my right ear lobe. Yellow Jackets run away after Insect Spray as hard as I could. But, from now on, I must be more careful!!!

Old 09-05-23, 08:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
My first memory in life is being stung by a wasp and I've taken many bee and wasp stings since. Bees are almost nothing to me to the extent that I'm not sure sometimes it was a bee if I don't see it. Wasps hurt quite a bit for a minute but that's it. These yellow jackets were orders of magnitude worse than any other sting or bite I've every previously encountered.

cwbuff, PineCone voted this post useful.
Old 09-06-23, 04:52 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I have been stung by yellow jackets in the past. The stings were no where near as painful as the recent stings. I wonder if there are different varieties of yellow jackets, some with a more potent venom.

Old 09-06-23, 09:44 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
I'll just add my 2˘ on dealing with yellow jackets-
A couple years ago I was typing on my laptop on the patio, when I heard a shriek and looked over to see my wife running down the driveway, swatting at her legs, then diving into the swimming pool.

Turned out that while weeding a flower bed, she'd opened up a yellow jacket nest. Luckily she'd only got 4-5 stings: antihistamines, ice pack, and BioFreezeŽ worked reasonably well to take out the pain & swelling.

What I DID figure out is that a basic HF leaf blower / leave vacuum-mulcher configured to MULCH is a particularly effective device to remove wasps and yellowjackets. Vacuum the entire wasp nest in, it shreds everything.
Yellow Jackets take a bit longer, set the leaf shredder over the yellow jacket nest, douse with a hose, in about 10 minutes all of the winged ones are shredded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: