Hornet trying to build a nest in my car

Old 05-20-24, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 402 Upvotes on 329 Posts
Hornet trying to build a nest in my car

I have an SUV with the back door that swings up. So I'm putting something in the back and I noticed a hornet (not 100% sure if it's a hornet, wasp or some sort of bee) flying around near me. When I closed the door, I watched it climb into the crack between the door and car. Got a fly swatter, opened the door again, and it was sitting near the top in the area where the door rests. Swatted at it and it flew out, along with the nest it was building.
I tried to scrape off the part stuck to the car, but couldn't. Like super glue. Went back out to check it, and it was back in there again, rebuilding. For a temp fix, got a piece of masking tape, stuck a cotton ball on it and sprayed the cotton with bee spray, then stuck it over the nest.
Have no idea how to keep them from building more. Never had one build one in a car before. Is there some sort of bee repellant or how is this handled?

Top Answer

05-24-24, 10:06 AM
Shadeladie
Super Moderator
Update: Checked all day yesterday, last night and this morning and it appears to be gone. Yay. I guess spraying the bee spray around the groove worked.

Old 05-20-24, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I think the wasp spray on the cotton ball will do the trick. Otherwise, hose them down with the wasp spray as needed.

Old 05-21-24, 02:19 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I wonder what type it is. Mud daubers and Mason bees like to build in gaps, cracks, crevices. They are solitary bees, pretty much harmless. The cotton ball trick is a great idea; I'm going to remember that! Should work.
See what you think. ​​​​​​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_bee

Old 05-21-24, 04:10 AM
T
Received 112 Upvotes on 100 Posts
Good advice so far. Typically, nests are stationary, making them fairly easy to locate. If possible, try moving the SUV for a few days.

Old 05-21-24, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. This morning it was in there again, but about a few feet from the nest. It flew out a few seconds later. Had to go out for a while and just checked it again and this time it wasn't in there. I sprayed a little around the edge of the door.

Tony P. it's parked in my parking space, in my driveway, so no where to move it to. Was thinking if it comes back again, I might drive my car away from the spot, open the door to let it fly out, then come back home. Not sure if others would try and take over.

I think it's a wasp and not a bee. I managed to take a pic and will post it. Since pics are not showing up, maybe you can click on "edit", Terry, to see it. (this post)

Last edited by PAbugman; 05-22-24 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 12:55 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Is that a Yellow Jacket?

EDIT: Yep & them darn things HURT.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

Old 05-21-24, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Could be or maybe a Paper Wasp? I think it might be a little bit bigger than a Yellow Jacket. Still not 100%. Funny, I always thought Yellow Jackets were bees. Never knew till recently that they're wasps.
Either way, I don't want them in the car with me!

Old 05-22-24, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I've had bees/wasps get in the vehicle more times than I can remember. Normally they will head for a window and if you roll the window down some it doesn't take much to shoo them out. But I understand you not wanting them in there to start with.

Old 05-22-24, 05:37 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
​​​​​​https://extension.psu.edu/european-paper-wasp

European paper wasp. Didn't know about these guys but I'm sure that's what it is. Do a side by side comparison of the markings. Scroll down to "environmental impact" and read about the nest building habits and such.

This is a queen that has overwintered and is making a paper nest that will fit in the door gap. She's not going to quit until she is killed, most likely. Prior to that, maybe clean the door gap very well with a cleaner and hopefully it will remove the pheromones/scent that attracts her now. You could also try an even coating of insect repellent in the entire gap. Otherwise, go out at night when she will be in there, and spray the wasp.

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-24, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
it doesn't take much to shoo them out
You're right on that. It leaves as soon as I swat at it. Wish she'd get the message and stay away.

Old 05-22-24, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks Terry, very helpful. I'll try cleaning it well or else I'll have to give in and give it a good spraying.

Old 05-24-24, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Update: Checked all day yesterday, last night and this morning and it appears to be gone. Yay. I guess spraying the bee spray around the groove worked.

marksr, PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: