Fleas in 3300 sq ft concrete garage.

Old 06-03-24, 07:55 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fleas in 3300 sq ft concrete garage.

I have a large brick garage with concrete floors that is 3300 sq ft (60x55). A stray cat got in there and passed away, now it is loaded with fleas. What's the best approach to get rid of them? There is a lot of stuff in this garage and it can't be cleared out. 1st thought was to buy a ton of the foggers and let em rip? I'm not concerned with pesticide getting on things. Cars are covered, etc. With the amount of space and stuff in there, it would be impossible to spray the whole place. What a nightmare!

Old 06-04-24, 02:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
You may have a long fight on your hands depending on the severity of the infestation. Foggers will only kill active insects but won't do anything for the eggs. The eggs will be activated over time by your movements in the garage so you will need to periodically retreat. Repeated cleaning, especially vacuuming the floor is good for physically removing the eggs plus the activity can "wake up" the eggs so they can be killed.

Old 06-04-24, 03:37 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Had something similar happen once with a rental we owned.
Agreed on vacuuming, BUT I found that it was better to set up box fans to exhaust the air and use an electric leaf blower to push the dust out first, then go back with a wet/dry vacuum with some water to trap any remaining dust.

After space is clean, then fogger.

Finally, back with blower to disburse diatomaceous earth to get DE dust distributed, wait a day, then vacuum again.

Old 06-04-24, 10:01 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I would stay away from total release aeros, commonly called "bombs". The treatment for fleas needs to be directed underneath objects much more than a bomb will do. Flea larvae crawl underneath things for the darkness and protection. Adults do not need the darkness. Flea treatments need to target the larvae for success. There are aeros that can be sprayed while upside down, under the control of the operator. Start in a far corner and work backwards much like you would be painting the floor. Lift tarps to spray under, area rugs, etc. Pay attention to the square footage on the can so you can judge the spraying/walking pace.

Make sure the aeros are primarily for fleas as they will have a growth regulator in them, as well as an adulticide. Precor 2625 and Precor 2000 Plus are examples. I personally would choose the 2625, but both should work. Veterinarians carry the "upside down" aeros, too and may be price competitive. Different brand names, I'm sure, but will work. Insect growth regulator is very important to be in the mix. They are all expensive.

Another option is if you have a compressed air sprayer. There are concentrates and insect growth regulators that you can tank mix in your sprayer with water. Spray the floor as a broadcast while backing out of the garage. I can suggest some if you wish. You'll have more money in the concentrates, but then you will have leftover concentrate for the future, if desired.

Vacuum the floor and underneath things very well prior to initial treatment. Use a good shop vac if you can and spray and insecticide into the vacuum holding tank. Eggs will not be destroyed though, so maybe bag it up and burn it, too.

Even with thorough vacuuming and spraying, there will be eggs/pupa that will still be in the garage and they will hatch out in the future. Don't think it's failing, that's how it works. When I had to treat vacant properties, I would insist on access to the property at my convenience, after initial treatment. It is important for a "host", which will be you in this case, to go through the garage, walking slowly and dragging feet. This will stir up the unhatched pupa and they will jump on you. The treatment you performed will work long term, but short term, they need to be stirred up. Tuck your pants into your socks. Wear white socks for monitoring. I would lightly treat my pant legs prior to entry as I didn't want to bring them with me to another location. Remember, think "underneath" things when treating. Open closet doors if any in the garage to spray. Tear apart any furniture, especially couches for treatment. Flea treatments can be a lot of physical work. Stay persistent. Sometimes results come quickly, sometimes not.

Slick71ss voted this post useful.
Old 06-04-24, 05:13 PM
S
Appreciate your replies.

Suggestions for an insecticide and IGR in concentrated form?

Guess the only bright side is if I continue to fail at getting rid of them totally, winter should kill them off along with eggs.

​​​​

Old 06-05-24, 05:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Winter will not kill them. The eggs can survive conditions we humans cannot and they can remain dormant for up to a year.

Indoors I have used Fenvastar Plus (esfenvalerate) pesticide with Tekko Pro IGR (insect growth regulator) mixed in. I've also had good luck with Tallstar (bifenthrin) with Tekko Pro IGR.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 06-05-24, 06:53 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
https://www.domyown.com/onslaught-in...ide-p-376.html
https://www.domyown.com/fenvastar-ecocap-p-2633.html

https://www.domyown.com/archer-igr-p-365.html

Fenvastar and Onslaught are the same active ingredient, both micro encapsulations, which are necessary when treating bare concrete which will absorb emulsifiable insecticides. Nyguard is suggested to be tank mixed with either, but Archer is cheaper and same active ingredient. The Tekko Pro that Pilot uses is a combo of 2 IGR's. It's expensive, but if I was still in the business, it's what I would use. For you, I'd suggest to go with Archer due to the cost and it will work. DIY'ers have the luxury of living on site, and being able to re-treat easily and cheaply compared to a pest business.

After treatment, when floor is dry, I'd be tempted to walk back through with a flying insect type hand held aero to stir up and flush the adults. Get them moving around and maybe contact the residual tank mix quicker.

Slick71ss voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-24, 12:48 PM
S
I ordered the Onslaught and Tekko Pro IGR. Thanks for the help. Will report back in the future.

Old 06-08-24, 04:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
I mix the pesticide and IGR up in a pump style garden sprayer. For that large an area I'd get a 4 or 5 gallon backpack model.

Keep in mind that killing fleas is a marathon NOT one treatment and your done. Make sure there are no animals (mice, cats, dogs...) getting into the garage that could be a food source for the fleas to continue their life cycle. Then you need to clean to mechanically remove as many eggs as possible. The disturbance will activate some of the eggs to hatch so you can kill them. Then just keep repeating. Each pass you will kill more and more of them until they are all gone.

Old 06-14-24, 11:56 AM
S
Sprayed Monday using about 5 1/2 gallons with one oz of each chemical per gal. So far, no adult fleas since. Time will tell if there are eggs to hatch. I'll spray again in a few weeks either way.

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: