Flies

Old 06-20-24, 07:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Flies

For some reason my house has been inundated with flies over the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure how this is happening but it's starting to get very annoying. I can kill five or six in just a few minutes and have double that show up a few minutes later it seems like. They never go away and I don't see them coming from outside I don't know what's going on.

It's very annoying to be sitting in the living room and have fly circling around your head. It's gotten to a point that I'm just ignoring them now.

So what can I do to get rid of the problem? I've never had an issue like this and nothing traditional is working. My house is clean I don't have any trash anywhere it's just non-stop flies.

Old 06-20-24, 08:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Finding and removing whatever is attracting them is the only real solution.

Old 06-21-24, 03:27 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 290 Upvotes on 229 Posts
I agree. I actually started to post last night but I eventually decided not to because I didn't want to come across as conflicting. The OP says all the trash has been removed. But there is a source somewhere.
Jr has left a banana peel somewhere, and Fido has taken it under the sofa. (I also like to interject a little humor in my replies sometimes).
You may not like them, but those fly strips help thin out those flies, especially when there are a lot of them to contend with.

Old 06-21-24, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
those fly strips help thin out those flies,
They do work well, many of us used them back in the day when houses weren't built as tight as they are today.

Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 06-21-24, 03:37 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Strategy for controlling flies is best started with a proper identification, but with live flies, that's easier said than done. If there is any way you can get a picture of dead flies that haven't been smashed badly, try to get a top view close up so we can see details. Otherwise, are they a shiny blue/green metallic by any chance? If so, those guys are dead body feeders, meaning something died in a bath/dryer vent, crawl space, chimney/flue, etc.

I'm assuming these aren't the tiny flies like fruit flies, sewer flies, humpback flies, etc. If they are tiny, then a photo will be even more important. The many fly species vary in their habits, food sources, habitat. Knowing that can point us in a direction for treatment/resolution.

What state are you in? Geographical location can sometimes be a clue, as well.

Old 06-21-24, 04:24 PM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Mark - I grew up on a dairy farm and those curly fly strips were all that kept the barn flies under control. I think we bought them by the gross. We also sprayed some sort of chemical that was probably outlawed 60 years ago, with a manual metal sprayer similar to this..

Actually, the strips killed flies by the jillions, but I don't think we ever got them under control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: