insulation

Old 07-27-02, 11:43 AM
Deedles
Visiting Guest
insulation

I live in Florida and my house gets sooo hot in the summer. It is called a Gill home. The ceilings are vaulted with exposed beams and T & G wood. I do not want to lose the appearance of height in the ceiling because it is a small house. Can I staple up insulation between the rafters and cover with wood? My neighbors house looks like it has polystyrene board that has been textured. I looks good, but is it safe. If you have any suggestions I would be most appreciative. By the way the roof has "modified roofing", no shingles or tiles.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 05:26 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Geetings,

Yes, you can get a high efficiency using this method.

I install similar retrofit systems here in the St louis area and have had very good results. I don't know your diminsions but the procedure will be the same

Install 2x2 strips across the cavity between the beams 24 c/c.

Install a two layer radiant barrier (RB) between the 2x2 and then cover with your paneling. You will have 3 reflective airspaces.

If 2x2s are two thick then install 1/2"x 1 1/2 wide osb or ply wood strips and install a single layer RB( non perforated) to the bottom of these and then another strip over the existing. Then install the paneling. You will have an air space between the paneling and the RB and a space between the RB and the original ceiling panels.

The RB also acts as a vapor barrier too.

I know you will be more than pleased with the results.

Contact Fi-Foil manufactureing in Aburndale Fl and ask for Gene. He can probably help you with findinmg a contractor in your area. Tell him Friendly George sent you.

Thank you for considering my opinion.