vapor barrier??


Old 08-17-02, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
vapor barrier??

I seen on hometime that they had used housewrap on the walls they had insulated. My question is would that be considered a vapor barrier. I'm remodeling my living, dining room and want to stop any drafts or leaks from entering the walls?? Any advice would be great!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-02, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,875
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House wraps are not vapor barriers, they are air infiltration barriers. They also take the place of building felt, that usually goes under siding. They are specifically designed to allow moisture vapor to go through them. This is to prohibit moisture being trapped in your walls. If you search the web for "House Wraps", you will find a lot of companies that make them and explainations on how they work and should be applied.
Old 08-18-02, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Sounds as though you have exposed the studs. If so remove the inefficent bulk insulation and replace with a high efficiency radiant barrier (RB). There is a good chance the condensation has caused some dry rot and most likely mold is present. The RB is much more efficient and will not condensate moisture or grow mold.

You can use a perforated single layer RB as a house wrap and this will help insulated the walls too.

Thank you for considering my opinion.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: