Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vapor barrier??

Visiting Guest

08-17-02, 02:41 PM   #1  
wallyb
vapor barrier??

I seen on hometime that they had used housewrap on the walls they had insulated. My question is would that be considered a vapor barrier. I'm remodeling my living, dining room and want to stop any drafts or leaks from entering the walls?? Any advice would be great!! Thanks

Sponsored Links

NJ

08-18-02, 11:27 AM   #2  
House wraps are not vapor barriers, they are air infiltration barriers. They also take the place of building felt, that usually goes under siding. They are specifically designed to allow moisture vapor to go through them. This is to prohibit moisture being trapped in your walls. If you search the web for "House Wraps", you will find a lot of companies that make them and explainations on how they work and should be applied.

Visiting Guest

08-18-02, 12:41 PM   #3  
rbisys
Greetings,

Sounds as though you have exposed the studs. If so remove the inefficent bulk insulation and replace with a high efficiency radiant barrier (RB). There is a good chance the condensation has caused some dry rot and most likely mold is present. The RB is much more efficient and will not condensate moisture or grow mold.

You can use a perforated single layer RB as a house wrap and this will help insulated the walls too.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread