Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is it loose insulation? Is it a hazard?

Visiting Guest

08-18-02, 07:48 AM   #1  
craigjen

I posted this question on KITCHENS, but we decided perhaps it should be under INSULATION instead...We are remodeling our kitchen, and step one is to take out all the applicances and cabinets.

When we took the dishwasher out, the place in the wall where the electric went through is filled with a gravel-looking substance, except we know that it isn't gravel - it is soft when you push on it. What could this be? Our home was originally built in the 1890's, and we belive the last kitchen renovation was in the 60's, so my initial fear is asbestos insulation. Is there any sure way of knowing what this is? Should we be concerned? Is it OK to handle it? We haven't knocked out the whole wall yet, so we cannot be sure, but it appears that this substance is only behind where the sink and other base cabinets were installed, and not on the rest of the exterior wall. Also, it appears that this area of the wall also still has the lathing used for plaster walls on it, instead of drywall/studs.

Any helpful info would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jennifer

Sponsored Links

AZ

08-18-02, 10:33 AM   #2  

craigjen,

Based upon what you describe, I am assuming that it does contain asbestos, virtually most products prior to mid-1970's contained it.

To avoid assumptions, I would inquire with an insulation company to come and investigate. No need to guess, get the facts. If necessary, take a sample in a plastic zip lock bag and bring it to your local lumber yard.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread