vapor barrier??

Old 08-20-02, 07:52 AM
diajon
Visiting Guest
Question vapor barrier??

HI, I AM REDOING MY KITCHEN AND HAVE THE DRYWALL OUT I AM GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE I AM GOING TO PUT UP THE INSULATION. I LOOKED AT THE TWO Q & A' ABOUT VAPOR BARRIERS AND I THINK THAT I NEED IT BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO USE. I ONLY HAVE A SPACE OF ABOUT 8' H TO 7' W TO DO.
ANYHELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.
DIAJON

Old 08-20-02, 08:11 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A lot depends on the type of insulation that you are using. If you are using faced fiberglass batts, they already have a vapor barrier on them. If there is a lot of moisture in the area of the kitchen, I would put up the insulation. If the batts are faced, slash the facing with a knife and then put up a piece of 6 mil poly that would cover the whole area. You should be able to get the poly at the same place you get your insulation. Make sure if you go with this method to slash the facing. Yopu only want to have one vapor barrier.

Old 08-20-02, 09:42 AM
diajon
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up VAPOR

WELL AFTER I SENT THIS I WENT AND LOOKED AT THE INSULATION AND BIG DUMBIE ME IT HAS A VAPOR BARRIER ON IT. SO THANKS FOR THE TIPS.
AS ALLWAYS THIS FORUM HAS BEEN VERY REWARDING.
DIAJON

Old 08-23-02, 01:47 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

The product you describe sounds like fiber glass with a paper covering. That IS NOT a vapor barrier. The FTC made the fiber glass co. stop using that lable in the 80's and these companies now use the term vapor retarder. Welcome to the wonderful world of fiber glass deception.

They also do not tell you that the the flame spread of these materials is out of sight. The paper is attached to the fibers with pitch. In a kitchen area you are exposing the fiber glass to high levels of moisture which means more condensation and possible mold (very possible).

You might want to consider installing two sheets of radiant barrier in the walls. They are 95% effiecent compared to about 10% for fiber glass and non of the other nasties.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: