Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

info wanted

08-22-02, 11:45 PM   #1  
info wanted

I am thinking about putting insulation in the rafters of my house, can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not, I saw on hometime one day they were talking about doing that because the do this in Europe. Thanx for the help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-23-02, 01:37 PM   #2  
rbisys
Greetings,

As much as I appreciate much of the enegy saving methods the Europeans have come up with, this one is not in your best intrest.

I have on ocassions removed fiberglass insulations from the rafter area because it was causing the sheathing to rot rot out.

The fiberglass is less than 10% efficient awnd most of the heat energy still comes thru. That is why you are having high bills now. If you want to save money install a double radiant barrier over the existing attic insulation. I havee seen a/c bills drop as much as 30%.

I talked to one of the shows "stars" one time about insulation. I wasn't very impressed. Remember they are sponsored by one of the fiber glass companies and they pretty much repeat the party line.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread