insulation

Old 08-25-02, 08:41 PM
gwiatr
Visiting Guest
Question insulation

What 'R' value of insulation should I use to insulate an enclosed porch to use the room all year long? I was told R13 is adequate, but I don't feel it is enough for the Chicago winters.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-02, 11:54 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

According to in house tests by owens corning, you'll be lucky if you get R7.

The most efficient material to use is a multi layer radiant barrier.
You can install in the ceiling walls and floor and the room will probably not use any more energy than the wall section to the house.

Plus you will not have condensation or mold problems. Let me know if you want more info and samples.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Old 08-26-02, 02:53 PM
gwiatr
Visiting Guest
Question INSULATION

RBISYS,
CAN YOU TELL ME THE BRAND NAMES OF ANY OF THE MULTI LAYER RADIANT BARRIER PRODUCTS USED TO INSULATE WALLS AND CIELINGS? CAN THEY BE PURCHASED AT HOME DEPOT OR MENARDS?
GWIATR

Old 08-26-02, 05:43 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Thank you for your intrest.

The mfgr companies I purchase from do not sell direct as they are not set up for retail sales. Unfortunately the big guys only sell bubble foil. They have trouble selling that too as most of their customers want push in, out of sight products. I commend you for going the extra mile.

If you send your adress to me I'll send you samples and prices.

Since you are intresed in installing RBs we probably will have personal contact so that I can better describe how to install and and answer any immediate questions.