Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement insulation/studwall

Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 06:51 AM   #1  
ROBNRAE
Basement insulation/studwall

I have just purchased a new townhouse and want to partition it to make a room. The builders installed insulation and vapour barrier against the concrete foundation wall (using concrete nails). Is it okay to build the stud wall away from the wall (to clear some plumbimg) or should I tear down the insulation and stud directly against the wall - then reinsulate.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 12:13 PM   #2  
rbisys
Greetings,

If it is fiber glass, remove it as you will have condensation and mold problems. If it is foam you coulds still have mold problems if it was not glued to the wall correctly.

If you remove the existing you can use a single layer of Radiant Barrier(RB) insulation. It is far better than FG and you will not have any mold problems. It is also a superior vapor barrier.

If you do nopt plan to have any electric out lets or sws on this wall you can attach 1x2 to wall with adhesive and tapcons and then the RB and drywall.

If you want more info, let me know. I can send you a sample of the material.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Visiting Guest

08-30-02, 01:39 PM   #3  
moxyj
gluing foam to concrete wall

What is the proper way to glue foam insulation to a concrete wall?

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 01:20 PM   #4  
rbisys
Greeetings,

To prevent moisture/mold problems it is recommended that the entire foam surface be glues to the wall. Foam isn't that great, use the RB method and get superior performance at less cost and hassle.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread