ballpark

Old 08-26-02, 06:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ballpark

I am looking for ballpark prices on cell blown in the attic. The attic is 1200 sq ft and I,m looking for r40. But I have no idea what ballpark the prices will in. i do not want to get taken or be off guard. what should I expect in money?

Rbisys please do not reply.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-02, 08:56 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A good price would be $.60/sq.ft. times 1200 = $720. You should shop around and call your local utility to see if they provide energy audits. They give estimates like with attic insulation, along with a list of contractors that usually won't deviate from the energy audit estimate.

The price could go up if other types of work has to be done, such as baffling to prohibit eave vents becoming clogged with insulation, sealing off chases, roof vents, etc.

Old 08-27-02, 06:23 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Geetings,

You don't say whether this new const. or retrofit.

If it is retrofit and you alredy have 6" of bulk insulation then going to R40 will probably never pay for itself. Most of the energy saved is in the first 4". In fact too much bulk insulation could raise you a/c bills because you are adding more heat retaining mass. If retro is the case you would get far more value by installing a double layer radiant barrier insulation over the top of the existing. A/c savings would be up tp 30% and winter about 12%. You can also DIY.

You might also want to look into radiant barrier paint for the interior side of the exterior walls.

Thank you for considering my opinion.