whats better ?????

Old 08-28-02, 08:11 PM
lancev31
Visiting Guest
whats better ?????

I have to insulate my attic and i was wondering if anyone knew which insulation is better, the regular insulation that comes in the plastic you install yourself or is the type that you can have blown into the attic better ????
thank you
Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 06:24 AM
Lightbulb No difference

The blow in type is easier to install and gets into odd areas of the attic better.
The roll type has more resistance to compacting over time.
Either will do.
Consider radiant barriers also, ribsys can tell you more about them, look in the "attics" section.

Old 08-30-02, 08:20 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Adding additional bulk insulation on top of what you have will probably not pay for its self.

Fiberglass and cellulose absorb over 90% of the roof's heat energy. It is stored and radiated/conducted to the ceil'g where it radiates into the room.

The best is a Radiant Barrier that will reflect about 95% of the heat energy. You can DIY but it you have staple two layers together to get a pillow configuration and then lay these over the existing.

You might also want to seach for "radiant barrier paints" on the web. Painting the inside of the exterior walls will help take a load off summer heat.

With the combo of the two you could have an energy efficient home and pay a lot less in utility bills. I have seen reductions to 50% or more.

Thanks for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread