Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 09:19 AM   #1  
tenile47
insulation

I have a 75 year old expanded cape cod. The two storage attics are approx 10 x 13. They are unheated and have 2 x 6 rafters. I want to insulate the ceiling. A ridge vent was installed recently but the eaves have no vents and there is blocking beween the top of the knee wall and the roof sheathing. My concern is whether or not I have to provide for air flow/ventilation between the eaves and ridge vent. I plan to cover with drywall, but will not heat the area. Does anyone have any experienceadvice with this problem.

Last edited by tenile47; 09-05-02 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsored Links

NJ

09-05-02, 11:15 AM   #2  
Because of the blocking on top of the knee wall and no apparent vents in the eaves, it is going t be difficult to provide free venting for your roof. If the roof need to be reshingled, then you could have a cold roof installed. That would solve your problem with ventilation.

Insulating an unheated area ceiling (between the roof rafters) that doesn't have adequate ventilation, is not advisable. The insulation should be applied to the thermal boundary which in this case are the knee wall and the floor in this space. Even if you provided adequate ventilation, the installation of the insulation between the rafters would have very little value to you because it is an unconditioned space and not part of the thermal boundary of the home.

Search this Thread