insulating a roof leaving rafters partly exposed

Old 09-06-02, 10:49 PM
blakes
Visiting Guest
insulating a roof leaving rafters partly exposed

I'm building a cabin on the Oregon coast. I guess it goes with out saying that the climate is damp with moderate temperatures.

I have 2X6 construction in the walls and the roof rafters are 2X12. I have bird blocking between all of the rafters. The second story is really a loft I would like to keep some of the head room by keeping part of the rafters exposed. I envison either wood or sheet rock in between the rafters, using half or part of the 2X12 depth for insulation. How do I insulate and what kind of insulation do I use to maintain the airflow provided by the bird blocking but insulate the roof and get rid of the drafts?

Cheers in advance for the answer.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-02, 12:59 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use styrofoam baffles to provide for air passage. This staples to your rafters up against the roof. Then you have to install nailers (1x2" wood slats) on both sides of the rafters inside the cavity. Placement depends upon thickness of insulation. For example, if you use R-13, then the outer edge of the nailer must be 3 1/2" away from the baffle to accomodate the insulation. The insulation gets stapled to the nailer and the sheet rock gets nailed or screwed into the nailer.

You can also use fiberglass rigid board insulation. Nail 1x2" slats on the both rafters up against the roof. Hot glue 1" board insulation to the edge of the slats. This creates a 2" gap between the insulation and the roof to allow for air to pass, just like the baffles. If you intend to install 3 layers of the rigid board insulation, then install a nailer (1x2" wood slats) 2 inches from the first rigid board. Hot glue the next 2 layers of rigid board between the nailers and attach the sheet rock to the nailers.