Garage insulation

Old 09-17-02, 05:08 AM
Garage insulation

The (ceilling) insulation for my home stops at the garage. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The ceiling is already dry walled but I have an access door. What is the best approach to isulate? Will it make much of a difference?

Also, my garage door faces the east. I would like to insulate it as well. Do they have insulation blocks or something? And again, will it make much of a difference. If I could lower the gargage temp just 10 degrees in the summer (from 90 to 80) that would be great.

Are these options costly?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-02, 09:44 AM
gubs18
Visiting Guest
Re: Garage insulation

I insulated my garage door with 1" rigid form panels & it made a nice difference; sold in home depot ($11) I think. cut the 4x8 rigid panel down to cover each g-door panel; easy to do & v little mess (took me 4 hrs). I used screws & oversize washers to hold it in place, but might recommend gluing it on (washers made the door little hvy for my wife). if your g-door doesn't have pockets built-in, you probably should create an air space between the door & panel.

if you have windows in the door, cover them with Plexiglas.

good luck!

Old 09-18-02, 09:26 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Insulating your garage ceiling will make a big difference. The temps in your garage affect the amount of heat energy entering that part of the house.

The most efficient insulation would be radiant barrier(RB) insulation. It is about 95% efficient as opposed to aboiut 10% efficiency for bulk types.

You didn't say what type of ceiling construction you have. That would dictate what type of RB to install.

By the way you could save considerable by installing a RB over the existing attic insulation.

If the garage walls are not finished you could use RB's there too.

For the interior walls you might want to check koolcoat.com to check the RB paints.

You could save up to 50% on your HVAC energy bills.

Thank you for considering my opinion.