Attic Insulation - Batt or Fiberglass Blown In

Old 09-27-02, 08:55 PM
risilver
Visiting Guest
Attic Insulation - Batt or Fiberglass Blown In

I am purchasing a new home in Southern Florida. The house comes standard with R30 Fiberglass blown in insulation. However, there is a chargeable option to have R-30 Batt insulation installed. Should I install the Batt insulation instead of the blown in? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of insulation?

Old 09-27-02, 09:18 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
R-30 is probably the building code in your area and you do not have any other option other than increase the R-value in order to meet your town and/or state requirements.

The disadvantages to batt insulation are gaps may be present between the batts when they are laid down. This is especially true if they are using trusses in the attic. The design and width of trusses sometimes makes it difficult to avoid these gaps between the batts. Because of the design of trusses, it is more difficult to install batt insulation. The reverse is true with blown-in insulation, plus it is easier and faster to blow it in.

Old 09-28-02, 01:19 PM
gubs18
Visiting Guest
do a search on this site.

There is a wealth of information on this web site. Do a search on here on "blow insulation" or "cellulose insulation". Also see FAQ & general info.

Also can do a goggle search on the above.

I have heard good & bad on both. The biggest problem with blown FG, is that that companies can cheat you by "overblowing" the stuff in. It will give you the appearance of x amt of inches, but the density isn't there to give you gd insulation; you will never know it. gd to be aware of & inform the contractor. you'll get other helpful info via your search. the biggest pro is it will fill every little area if done correctly.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: